Closed Thread
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think in a perfect world it would be great if PPL was for a year so that women had a year off to breastfeed (if they so choose) and then return to work part or full time after a year (if they so choose) but i feel very grateful with the current amount of PPL.

I've never really viewed being a SAHM as a "job" rather a role you choose to undertake. I'm about to become a SAHM and while i will get some maternity leave from my employer (which I'm happy about after working full time for 12 years) once that has run out, it's never occurred to me that the government should pay me to be a SAHM.

I believe that being a SAHM is a valuable, amazing role and it is sad that it's undervalued at times, but i don't think it needs to have a dollar value attached to it. You have to choose to be a SAHM and most of the time, sacrifice other material possessions to be able to do it for more than a few years these days. Unless your partner is on a very high income, its hard to do it all. My mum's generation didn't expected to be paid to stay home, and neither do I.

If all mum's we're paid to be at home for a long period. we wouldn't have enough women in the workforce to be doctors, nurses, teachers, childcare workers.

Unfortunately with super, its the way the cookie crumbles, women usually have to take more time out of the workforce to have children so have less super. I'm not really sure what an easy solution to that is.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (20-03-2013),lambjam  (20-03-2013),Lillynix  (20-03-2013),Night Owl  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I think the cost of housing has been more of a factor. In my parents' time it was expected that you save up for a house. An entire house. Now double income families struggle to save up for a deposit.
    Yes, but wouldn't the fact that most households have two incomes be a huge factor in driving the market up?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I can't remember the exact figures, but in my parents day it was around 3 x the average annual income to purchase a house. I'm pretty sure it's 8 or even higher now. It's just out of the question for many people, especially considering the cost of rent, and I live in a State where food is the second most expensive in the country yet we have pretty low wages in comparison to some of the others.
    I agree, rent is so expensive in some places there is just no way a lot of families will ever be able to save a deposit (even if the mortgage is not much higher than rent). A lot of families in Australia live week to week, life is getting very expensive.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-03-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Yes, but wouldn't the fact that most households have two incomes be a huge factor in driving the market up?
    Yes, it's become a vicious cycle

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (20-03-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Maybe not so much material possessions such as holidays and such. I think it's more that people find it more necessary these days to be in a better financial
    position for their childrens benefit. That's how it is for dh and I anyway. We haven't always earned good money and we have had our times at doing it tough financially. While I don't have to work, I want to, love my job and I like contributing financially for our family. Dh and I know our children will struggle buying a house etc by the time they grow up and want to make it easier for them financially. We certainly don't go on expensive holidays or dine out though. We also live remote where the cost of living is much higher, just an example is that rent is between $850 and $1,900 per week. Thankfully we don't have that to worry about but had we not bought all those years ago we would have. But just an example as to why families may need 2 incomes.
    It all depends on when people start their families as well. I'm in my early 30s pregnant with my first and myself and DP have a well established career which brings in a decent income, but it would be a very different situation for e.g. if we had children in our very early 20's or even younger. Young families who don't have a decade of work/study/saving behind them would find it a lot harder to save a deposit for a house.

I think also (and i could be wrong) but there is a bit of a trend in families now returning to more traditional values and opting to rent for longer while their children are small so that they can stay home till they go to preschool, and waiting to buy a house. So quality time with the family is being valued above financial security (which might come later in life).
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 20-03-2013 at 16:12.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You also only had two in day care, some people have more, and that is expensive.

I agree with you though, I can't wait till the kids are all in school so I can go back to work. I am sooo bored, my brain has stopped functioning!

mmmm I'm curious to know how a child would benefit with having a stay at home parent if the kids are at school? What would the point be? I for one would be bored being at home on my own with the kids at school, I would rather be out working but that's just me. I don't need to work financially, I choose to because I love my work.

Dh works away, I work 4 days full days a week with 1 child in school currently. The second is in daycare the 4 days a week and the 5th day is our day together which I love. I don't find it hard to juggle, you just have to find that routine. Nor do I have family anywhere near close by to call on. I just manage.

My day goes a bit like this;
    5am- get out of bed (ds2 is an early riser but ds2 may sleep in til 5.30)
    I have a shower and get ready
    5.40 - Breakfast for all including feeding the 3 furry family members
    6.00 - Kids dressed, teeth and hair brushed, pack ds1's lunch in his bag
    6.15 - watch a bit of tv, quick tidy up of dishes etc from the morning.
    6.50 - Out of the door
    7.00 - drop ds1 to wait for the bus to school
    7.10 - drop ds2 off at daycare and spend time reading etc with him
    7.30 - I am at work and ready to start
    I work through lunch. Finish at 3-3.30 depending on if I have had a break through the day.
    DS1 finishes at 2.20pm and goes home with a friend 2 days a week and has after school care 2 days a week. If he had to come back to work with me for an hour he would be able to and has done.
    I pick ds up by 3.30 and ds2 up by 4pm. I have time to zip to the shops if need be. I also have a few hours of daylight left to enjoy time with the kids before dinner at 6pm, bath,and bed by 7pm for ds2 and 7.30pm for ds1. I make ds's lunch and pack their bags when they are in bed and have clothes ready for all of us for the next day. Usually on Sunday morning I cook bulk meals and freeze for occassions during the week so I don't have to cook every night. The weeks dh is home it's that little bit easier as he is very productive and hands on.

I also struggle when people suggest daycare fees are expensive, I don't think they are, not when a majority would be eligible for the ccb and the ccr and those not eligible for the ccb such as myself still get the ccr which is quite a cut leaving the oop manageable. Last year my oop for 2 in daycare was $330 per week which we didn't see as expensive. This year I have 1 less in daycare but school fees, excursions etc instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would like to point out, that a lot of SAHPs are probably in the same situation as me, where if I went back to work, the money I earn a day wouldn't cover childcare. Or it would, but only just. So I would be basically away from the kids working, them in care and I wouldn't see any of the money. So while it is my choice, it is definitely the better choice. I am starting uni this year to get into a different career, one that is more family friendly that pays way more.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (20-03-2013),Clementine Grace  (20-03-2013),dancingchipmunk  (20-03-2013),sjay  (20-03-2013),Two Sweetpeas  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think 102 pairs of shoes and as many outfits is unnecessary and materialistic!

I don't have to work either, but I do because I like my job.
    Oh so you know the quantity of outfits I have in my ward robe do you? Or perhaps your jealous because you have very little... whatever. I may have collected 102 pairs of shoes in the last 20 years, so what if it's my thing, it's none of your business.
    I'm sure you would have things I would think are unneccesary.

Thanks
    Reviews

I also struggle when people suggest daycare fees are expensive, I don't think they are, not when a majority would be eligible for the ccb and the ccr and those not eligible for the ccb such as myself still get the ccr which is quite a cut leaving the oop manageable. Last year my oop for 2 in daycare was $330 per week which we didn't see as expensive. This year I have 1 less in daycare but school fees, excursions etc instead.
    Isn't the average australian full time wage about 44k (so half of the population earns less than that). Is $330 for about 3 days a week of day care for two kids? If someone on an average wage is working 3 days a week, their income is about $500 a week before tax. So after tax, it's equal to an income of $50-$100 a week so daycare is quite expensive for some if their income isn't high enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh so you know the quantity of outfits I have in my ward robe do you? Or perhaps your jealous because you have very little... whatever. I may have collected 102 pairs of shoes in the last 20 years, so what if it's my thing, it's none of your business.
    I'm sure you would have things I would think are unneccesary.
    LOL you bragged you had that many shoes after a big clean out! And then your outfits as well!

I am not jealous if you, quite the opposite in fact

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (20-03-2013),hollychops  (21-03-2013),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (20-03-2013),Maybelline  (20-03-2013),RobinSparkles  (20-03-2013),sjay  (20-03-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast