Closed Thread
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    See, we consider DH's super to belong to both of us. When I earn again, my super will also belong to both of us. If we were to split, then each of our super accounts would also be split.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (20-03-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    My understanding is that it would be at the mums wage, so should I feel discriminated against as some one who earns more, therefore gets more? No just like a sahm shouldn't feel discriminated against.
    Please keep in mind that by earning my wage I will continue to pay my level of tax.
    Next financial year I will be earning part pay on my maternity leave, and thanks to our investment property ( and deductions) and lower income i won't be paying tax so the government is loosing over 20k in tax revenue from me alone. IF I got my full wage they would still "earn" that revenue through tax.
    I would also like to point out that sometimes in life you do things you don't want to do just because you have to. When I return full time I'll be working 4 days at extended hours, hubby will do 4 nights two of which will be Friday and Saturday nights.
    We don't want to do that but we are
    My bold. I completely agree. I guess it just varies as to what people believe to be 'what they have to do'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm in two minds because I think the government should make it easier for one income families to get by, and do something about the massive inequalities in things like superannuation for SAHMs etc. But I don't entirely disagree with Tony Abbott that if you want certain entitlements you need to be employed. I have had one friend who was a SAHM tell me it wasn't fair that I had paid holidays etc. But the thing is, I could argue that I make family time sacrifices by coming to work. She makes financial sacrifices by being a SAHM. I don't think it's fair to working people that they make sacrifices for the same entitlements as others if this makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree Benji

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The super issue is something which I get a bit annoyed about. So often I hear about women in their 20s, 30s and even 40s who have no super, or little super and haven't given any thought to their retirement and how they will live. Personally I would never have been a SAHM if I hadn't factored in super. Not sure where the gov't is going to find the money to pay super to SAHMs (not sure it should TBH).

Taking time out of my career effectively killed my future prospects so I've had to think out of the box in terms of how I earn a living. But it was my choice to stay home with my kids for a few years and a choice I made fully cognisant of the financial impact it would have on us.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Night Owl  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Sometimes it isn't as black and white as - work if you want financial help. You could have a woman working, but gets pg before the 12 months is up. Or one that is working but has to quit due to pg related sickness. Or a SAHM with a partner on really good money, the relationship ends after she gets pg and has a few small children and needs the BB.

Again, I fully support PPL, and I think it's ridiculous to suggest, as a SAHM what Benji's friend did, that working mums are somehow getting it easy by getting paid holidays and sick days But the bottom line is, especially for subsequent children, that the PPL scheme is significantly more than the BB, something I support, and it stands to increase again. Now if SAHM's were getting a big bonus and working mums got nothing I could understand outrage.

But it could be easily argued, given some comments that basically SAHMs choose to stay home, that having a child is a choice period, and on 2 incomes it's much easier to save for a nest egg before the baby, especially with PPL. to get the payments you only need to work 4 hours a week, so some mums are not working anywhere near FT yet stand to gain quite a generous payment.

I guess I'm just finding it hard to understand why those that work and will probably get another increase in PPL with Abbott, would begrudge help to other families...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    See, we consider DH's super to belong to both of us. When I earn again, my super will also belong to both of us. If we were to split, then each of our super accounts would also be split.
    I do too.
    In a way the government does too. I used DH super funds to pay for my WLS under the government approved APRA system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm lost as I don't qualify for BB nor have i ever received PPL. I've always had to fund my own maternity leave (and I know I'm extremely lucky that I am able to). I did get paid maternity leave from my previous employer which helped a lot.

I don't really understand the numbers involved as I don't get anything. I'm only talking about the govt paying super to SAHMs. I honestly don't know where they'd get the money from to pay for that.

I live in a world where 90% of mums in my circle go back to work because they want to and because they have to. Many would love to be a SAHM but they can't afford it. I don't know many people who can't afford it but do it anyway.

I would like to be educated on this so please bear with me - if I've misunderstood the issue happy to be corrected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    That's one thing I don't like delirium - cuts to one group in order to give more to another.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I think we've become a society that is way too obsessed with material posessions and having fun (expensive holidays, dinners out regularly, shows etc). Both of which will almost definitely require a double income.

From what I understand (I could be wrong of course) adding a second income used to mean that a family could live to a very good, if not great, standard. The problem now is that the cost of living has risen to reflect this, and now 2 incomes are necessary in most cases just to break even.

I do realise how lucky we are for me to be at home with the children full time, and there is definitely some luck involved, but we also sacrifice a lot to do this because obviously it is important to us or I would be at work.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-03-2013),delirium  (20-03-2013),FrothyFrog  (20-03-2013),LoveLivesHere  (20-03-2013),Mahjong  (20-03-2013),penguinbaby  (21-03-2013),SoThisIsLove  (20-03-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast