Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think Tony knows what he's doing, just my opinion

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Yeah for 3 years I wouldn't expect you'd get much at all.

But the govt would say you were young when you separated and could have worked (in theory - I realise it's not what everybody does).

There will always be women who are 50 or 60 and living in poverty because of issues like super. I've worked for most of my life but the time away from my career and working part time means I won't actually get that much from forced super anyway (not enough to live on for 25 years). We've had to make a lot of other investment decisions so we'll be able to fund our retirement. Super is only one part of the package.
    Yes, theory doesn't quite work in practice as there was no childcare and I had no support. I doubt I will be able to retire, I will have to work until I am physically incapable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Yes, theory doesn't quite work in practice as there was no childcare and I had no support. I doubt I will be able to retire, I will have to work until I am physically incapable.
    it's awful when women go through this and become a statistic

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    it's awful when women go through this and become a statistic
    It's ok, I can always sponge off my DD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    No it isn't, it is asking to receive a little bit, whilst taking time out of your life to raise the next generation, it is asking for our work as parents to be seen as important as working in paid employment. And yep, raising child's is a heck of a lot more important than taking payments for things or whatever.

Scandinavian countries really have it going on.
    I don't see it as paid work is more important than unpaid work, it's not. Stay at home parents have a valuable role. I am looking at it from a factual (not emotional) angle: you get paid for Doing paid work, you don't get paid for not doing paid work/working for yourself. No disrespect to Stay at Home Parents intended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    you get paid for Doing paid work, you don't get paid for not doing paid work/working for yourself.
    But isn't that in itself a reason to fund a tiny bit of super, which in the end will save the govt money?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-03-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't see it as paid work is more important than unpaid work, it's not. Stay at home parents have a valuable role. I am looking at it from a factual (not emotional) angle: you get paid for Doing paid work, you don't get paid for not doing paid work/working for yourself. No disrespect to Stay at Home Parents intended.
    You may not be (intentionally) disrespecting, but you are de-valuing and I see you doing this here a lot. SAHM's do contribute, and even though you can't put a price on it, it has significant worth and SAHM's are being disadvantaged into the future for caring for their children.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-03-2013),delirium  (21-03-2013),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But isn't that in itself a reason to fund a tiny bit of super, which in the end will save the govt money?
    Think about this statistically majority of sahm will stay with her partner, he should have enough $$$ in the account for the government to say no to pension, she should also have 25 years worth of super ( assuming she returns to work at 40 ) therefore it's only the minority who won't have any. Even if she returns at 50 it's still 15years of super which combined with hubby can be an ok amount.
    And if you have been nearly 30 years not in the workforce the smart thing to do would be to contribute majority of your wage ( as you've been use to not having it) towards super.
    Therefore the government is actually saving money now as in theory majority should have enough in self funds to not qualify later in life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    You may not be (intentionally) disrespecting, but you are de-valuing and I see you doing this here a lot. SAHM's do contribute, and even though you can't put a price on it, it has significant worth and SAHM's are being disadvantaged into the future for caring for their children.
    Hey I agree with you SAHMs do contribute, you can't put a price on it and what they do has significant worth. I also agree that by not receiving super they are disadvantaged. Where we differ (I think) is that I think not receiving the same financial remuneration as a paid employee is part of the parcel of a person choosing to be a stay at home parent. I just can't get my head around the idea that someone should get paid for working for themselves.

This is just my non emotive opinion and is in no way intended to devalue anyone. I understand people are sensitive but please don't let that sensitivity cloud judgement of what I am saying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Think about this statistically majority of sahm will stay with her partner, he should have enough $$$ in the account for the government to say no to pension, she should also have 25 years worth of super ( assuming she returns to work at 40 ) therefore it's only the minority who won't have any. Even if she returns at 50 it's still 15years of super which combined with hubby can be an ok amount.
    And if you have been nearly 30 years not in the workforce the smart thing to do would be to contribute majority of your wage ( as you've been use to not having it) towards super.
    Therefore the government is actually saving money now as in theory majority should have enough in self funds to not qualify later in life.
    That's making a lot of assumptions. That her partner has a lot of super - some men work hard for min wage and can't afford voluntary contributions. That they stay together. That by the time she's in the workforce she can afford to put all her wage in like you say. She may have a disability. I could go on and on.