Closed Thread
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No it isn't, it is asking to receive a little bit, whilst taking time out of your life to raise the next generation, it is asking for our work as parents to be seen as important as working in paid employment. And yep, raising child's is a heck of a lot more important than taking payments for things or whatever.

Scandinavian countries really have it going on.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I agree.

If you want your own super work in paid employment. If you don't work in paid employment (a totally valid choice) then either go for your partners super if you split, or if you don't have a hubby you just go old the old age pension when you retire.

Stay at home parents are eligible for extra assistance if they are low income. Asking for super if your hubby is working and getting super is like asking for a 2 for 1 deal. Asking for super if you don't have a partner that works is asking for also asking for a freebie.

I totally respect a parents right to stay at home and look after the kids. But as Abbot said if you want the dough, enter paid employment.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I do agree pegasus, but there are a percentage of the population, usually women, that for a whole range of reasons can't do that.

Therefore it would make sense that the govt make small contributions irrespective of whether she does, so that taking into account decades of interest from the super, it may shave off 5 years of the pension down the track. The govt may have only actually paid 2 years, so they have saved 3 years out of the coffers, multiply that by thousands and that a huge saving with an aging population.
    No doubt someone will have the bright idea of a compulsory contribution from ftb

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    No doubt someone will have the bright idea of a compulsory contribution from ftb
    Would that be so bad?

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Girls, I'm sensing some tension. Who needs a massage from Mr. Abbott?

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-03-2013),dancingchipmunk  (21-03-2013),delirium  (21-03-2013),Ellewood  (21-03-2013),lambjam  (21-03-2013),Stiflers Mom  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinSparkles View Post
    Attachment 33638 Abbott goes in for a smooch...
    Only if one of these smooches is promised

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post

Sure the government needs to keep people from poverty, but people also need to take responsibility for their own futures
    I guess the rub there is for someone like me, over twenty years I worked for half and raised my child the other half. I now have zero super because I stopped work to do the childcare.

I think there is a genuine issue for a large number of women who will have no super because they were raising children and then have to claim welfare, which is is a pretty paltry sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    When I was a family lawyer we did it all the time as part of property settlements. It's common where people have been married for a long time. It can be more problematic where the relationship breaks down early in the marraige as a court will look at the mother's ability to retrun to the workforce, which is considered easier when the mother is young but harder when she is in her 50s and has been a SAHM her whole life, or worked but on a lower income to raise the family.

My few years as a family lawyer terrified me enough to make sure I will always have the capacity to earn my own living, even if I am unable to at a particular point in time. I saw the strongest most stable of marriages fail. It can happen to anybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    It's part of the settlement process. Divvying up house, assets, super, arranging custody... It should all get done at the same time.

ETA Sorry Sonja, I hadn't refreshed and seen your response
    As I figured then, absolutely not worth it. We were only together for 3 years, so it would be absolutely pointless and yet, he will have a reasonable sum of super now and I have zip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Girls, I'm sensing some tension. Who needs a massage from Mr. Abbott?
    Haha, is that a threat or a promise?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

MummaJez  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Haha, is that a threat or a promise?
    For me personally, it would be a threat. But from what I've read on here I think some ladies are lining up hoping for the promise!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No no no no..... say it isn't so!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I guess the rub there is for someone like me, over twenty years I worked for half and raised my child the other half. I now have zero super because I stopped work to do the childcare.

I think there is a genuine issue for a large number of women who will have no super because they were raising children and then have to claim welfare, which is is a pretty paltry sum.

As I figured then, absolutely not worth it. We were only together for 3 years, so it would be absolutely pointless and yet, he will have a reasonable sum of super now and I have zip.
    Yeah for 3 years I wouldn't expect you'd get much at all.

But the govt would say you were young when you separated and could have worked (in theory - I realise it's not what everybody does).

There will always be women who are 50 or 60 and living in poverty because of issues like super. I've worked for most of my life but the time away from my career and working part time means I won't actually get that much from forced super anyway (not enough to live on for 25 years). We've had to make a lot of other investment decisions so we'll be able to fund our retirement. Super is only one part of the package.
    Last edited by Sonja; 21-03-2013 at 18:17.