Closed Thread
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I am a single parent and I have not bothered to attempt to get some of his super. I have not personally heard of anyone who has successfully done this but would love to hear about it. I find it hard enough to get him to pay regular child support so I doubt i would get a cent of super.
    When I was a family lawyer we did it all the time as part of property settlements. It's common where people have been married for a long time. It can be more problematic where the relationship breaks down early in the marraige as a court will look at the mother's ability to retrun to the workforce, which is considered easier when the mother is young but harder when she is in her 50s and has been a SAHM her whole life, or worked but on a lower income to raise the family.

My few years as a family lawyer terrified me enough to make sure I will always have the capacity to earn my own living, even if I am unable to at a particular point in time. I saw the strongest most stable of marriages fail. It can happen to anybody.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Benji  (21-03-2013),Ellewood  (21-03-2013),lambjam  (21-03-2013),wktz  (21-03-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I am a single parent and I have not bothered to attempt to get some of his super. I have not personally heard of anyone who has successfully done this but would love to hear about it. I find it hard enough to get him to pay regular child support so I doubt i would get a cent of super.
    It's part of the settlement process. Divvying up house, assets, super, arranging custody... It should all get done at the same time.

ETA Sorry Sonja, I hadn't refreshed and seen your response
    Last edited by lambjam; 21-03-2013 at 13:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    My DH said last night that as far as he knew the govt would contribute as long as I was contributing myself, whether I ended up as a SAHM, but he's not 100% sure. I'm a nanny and doula so handle all my own taxes and super, as soon as I do my taxes and the govt sees my contribution they contribute $1000. I would assume even if I stopped working and still contributed they would as well...???
    Only thing is, if you stopped working you wouldn't have to do a tax return (correct me if I'm wrong there) so the govt may not know about your contribution?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wktz View Post
    Only thing is, if you stopped working you wouldn't have to do a tax return (correct me if I'm wrong there) so the govt may not know about your contribution?
    So do you not have to fill out a tax return/paperwork if you're a SAHM or not working? I haven't not worked in Australia yet and in the States you still have to file you're taxes even if you're not working (obviously you may not owe anything or get anything back, you just have to do the paperwork). So even though I live over her and don't earn money in the US I still have to file my taxes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    So do you not have to fill out a tax return/paperwork if you're a SAHM or not working? I haven't not worked in Australia yet and in the States you still have to file you're taxes even if you're not working (obviously you may not owe anything or get anything back, you just have to do the paperwork). So even though I live over her and don't earn money in the US I still have to file my taxes.
    If you earn under a certain amount (not sure what the amount is anymore) or nothing at all, then you dont have to do a tax return, you just do a non-lodgement with centrelink if you claim benefits

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    It's part of the settlement process. Divvying up house, assets, super, arranging custody... It should all get done at the same time.

ETA Sorry Sonja, I hadn't refreshed and seen your response
    As a de facto - no settlement occurred. Like Sonja said, it may not even come up for people married/together for 5 years or so. We had DS via IVF cycle in the end but I got nothing from our separation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    As a de facto - no settlement occurred. Like Sonja said, it may not even come up for people married/together for 5 years or so. We had DS via IVF cycle in the end but I got nothing from our separation.
    But as a de facto you are still entitled to a settlement because its a marriage by common-law??

Thanks
    Reviews
    But as a de facto you are still entitled to a settlement because its a marriage by common-law??
    It would have cost me more than it was worth. We did not buy a property together (almost did but I pulled out - hitting myself!!). He owned a home which I would have got a share of but legal fees would have swallowed most of it. I had a baby to care for which was about all I could cope with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post

ETA I'm not saying that the BB will be phased out because we no longer need babies. I'm saying it will be phased out because the government once had the means and motivation to throw money at that particular cause and when it needs to put it elsewhere it will.
    This I agree!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    At this moment, I'm just going to address one thing. Super.

As a stay home parent, I obviously made the choice to stay at home, it's what I felt was in the best interests of my children. Because of that, I am not entitled to any super, I'm not in paid employment. I however, am entitled to my Husband's super. While I am raising our children, he is working to support us, as a family, and as a result of that, he is earning super to support us, as a couple, when we retire.

Once I return to paid employment, my plan is to make voluntary super contributions on top of my employer contributions, in an effort to boost up the super that I missed out on whilst staying at home with my children. For low to middle income earners, there is also the Government super co-contribution, where the Government will match up to $1,000 of your personal contributions, this is something to definitely to keep in mind. It would be worth making extra payments into your super to take advantage of this (I wouldn't be entitled to it, but I still wish to bump up my own super by voluntary payments).

In the case of single parents, I'm not sure how it works, but if you separated from a long term partner, I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that you are entitled to up to half of your ex-partners super, so when dividing up property etc this should be included.

As for the Government paying stay at home parents superannuation in some form, I do not agree with it.
    I agree.

If you want your own super work in paid employment. If you don't work in paid employment (a totally valid choice) then either go for your partners super if you split, or if you don't have a hubby you just go old the old age pension when you retire.

Stay at home parents are eligible for extra assistance if they are low income. Asking for super if your hubby is working and getting super is like asking for a 2 for 1 deal. Asking for super if you don't have a partner that works is asking for also asking for a freebie.

I totally respect a parents right to stay at home and look after the kids. But as Abbot said if you want the dough, enter paid employment.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (21-03-2013),Lovemyfam  (21-03-2013)