Closed Thread
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lambjam I have been thinking about this too, if the BB has now achieved its purpose of increasing the birth rate then shouldn't it be phased out soon?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    The baby bonus was brought in to increase birth rates. That's not necessary anymore. It sounds harsh, but it's true.
    Actually I believe that although the population is increasing, it is mainly through migrants rather than births. I read an article on this recently... I'll see if I can find it.

We still need people to keep having babies or there will be a massive inbalance in years to come.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Oh really? Did we increase the population?

It does sound harsh, but I understand where you're coming from.
    I have no idea why, but it seemed to be a priority for the Liberal government at the time... One for mum, one for dad, one for Peter Costello

For whatever reason it would seem that it's not a priority now. In fact with people like D!ck Smith spruiking on, it feels like we're being encouraged to have fewer children.

People get used to these things and believe that they're essential, that they're owed to them. But they're simply not. They're policies that change, just like any other.

ETA I'm not saying that the BB will be phased out because we no longer need babies. I'm saying it will be phased out because the government once had the means and motivation to throw money at that particular cause and when it needs to put it elsewhere it will.
    Last edited by lambjam; 21-03-2013 at 10:59.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Benji  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Kirst33, I was wondering that same thing myself. I would imagine, that so long as you had a super account, and were making voluntary payments, whether you were employed or not, you should still be entitled to this scheme.

Lambjam, as above, I just quoted what the website stated, low-middle income. I have no idea if a SAHM could gain from this scheme, but I would assume so, there's nothing to state on the website that you HAVE to be in paid employment to gain this advantage. It's not something you need to apply for either, it just happens if you're eligible and make voluntary payments.

Also, as another note, if you are a low income earner, there is also the low income super contribution of up to $500 a year, in addition to to the co-contribution scheme. Which means that eligible people could be gaining up to an extra $1,500 a year in their super, that could potentially be an extra $30,000 in your super after 20 years!

Peeps, get in touch with ATO and find out what you can do to try and help yourselves out for the future, don't just sit there and worry about it!

Super co-contribution: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/42616.htm

Low income super contribution: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...htm&alias=lisc
    Last edited by Lillynix; 21-03-2013 at 11:04.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-03-2013),lambjam  (21-03-2013),Meags82  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no idea why, but it seemed to be a priority for the Liberal government at the time... One for mum, one for dad, one for Peter Costello

For whatever reason it would seem that it's not a priority now. In fact with people like D!ck Smith spruiking on, it feels like we're being encouraged to have fewer children.

People get used to these things and believe that they're essential, that they're owed to them. But they're simply not. They're policies that change, just like any other.

ETA I'm not saying that the BB will be phased out because we no longer need babies. I'm saying it will be phased out because the government once had the means and motivation to throw money at that particular cause and when it needs to put it elsewhere it will.
    Ah ok, well I agree with you there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DH said last night that as far as he knew the govt would contribute as long as I was contributing myself, whether I ended up as a SAHM, but he's not 100% sure. I'm a nanny and doula so handle all my own taxes and super, as soon as I do my taxes and the govt sees my contribution they contribute $1000. I would assume even if I stopped working and still contributed they would as well...???

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post

In the case of single parents, I'm not sure how it works, but if you separated from a long term partner, I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that you are entitled to up to half of your ex-partners super, so when dividing up property etc this should be included.
    I am a single parent and I have not bothered to attempt to get some of his super. I have not personally heard of anyone who has successfully done this but would love to hear about it. I find it hard enough to get him to pay regular child support so I doubt i would get a cent of super.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Oh she is fully aware she is doing it. Usually it serves a purpose e.g self esteem boost. Guess its not all sunshine and roses on the other side of the fence after all. Anyway it's the Internet I'm actually a supermodel so you know money is no object.

Its always the same people spilling their delusional thoughts on subjects they rarely know anything about with the same attitude standing on the same pedestal. *yawn* it gets old.... Yea yea you worked hard we get it.
    You make me laugh. I hardly need a self esteem boost. I am just very open, comfortable and have nothing to hide. I have a great life, loving husband and a beautiful family. I'm a very happy person and hide behind nothing, my life is sunshine and roses actually. If people don't like my honesty they have the problem not me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I do agree with this, although I do believe it's our govt's responsibility to ensure that families aren't living in poverty. I don't think our government owes us bonuses, but they do owe us a lot.. they sure get a lot of bonuses from us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=beebs;7148786]There are BB and FTB and childcare rebates, if they withheld a small amount from any of those things and put it into super, then that would be good. It is just like an enforced savings plan

you could be onto something there!