Closed Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    but even so isn't his paid maternituy leave going to be way more than the one we have now? and SAHMs won't get it??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Lol. Welcome to bubhub Jonsey, that was a brilliant typo! I hope you enjoy it here

On a more serious note... I've been thinking about this stuff a bit lately, as my children are getting older and will both be in school by 2015.

I'm starting to realise just how much they will still benefit from having a parent in the home, and hubby and I are wondering how we are going to juggle it all with him working an hour away and no family nearby... add to that the rising cost of childcare/difficulty finding after school hours care/school holidays care.... it's all feeling really hard to juggle. Maybe it's easier in reality than it sounds but I doubt it.

How do the working mums and dads in our situation do it?

It's kind of expected that SAHMs should go back to work once their youngest is in school, but I can see perhaps even more benefits of having a parent around then, not less.

I dunno... does anyone know where I am coming from?
    Yes it is expected that Sahm go back t work when their kids go to school, I have had awful things said to me when I have said i won't be going back to work.
    My 1st child had all benefits of me be a sahm all through her schooling and we plan for our other kids to have them too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy1 View Post
    absolutely and school hours dont match up with most people's working hours anyway so you have to do after school care or find someone to look after them.. maybe staying at home is more of a benefit to everyone then too
    Minister Ellis' flexible hours child care scheme looks interesting:

http://ministers.deewr.gov.au/ellis/...odern-families

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Lol. Welcome to bubhub Jonsey, that was a brilliant typo! I hope you enjoy it here

On a more serious note... I've been thinking about this stuff a bit lately, as my children are getting older and will both be in school by 2015.

I'm starting to realise just how much they will still benefit from having a parent in the home, and hubby and I are wondering how we are going to juggle it all with him working an hour away and no family nearby... add to that the rising cost of childcare/difficulty finding after school hours care/school holidays care.... it's all feeling really hard to juggle. Maybe it's easier in reality than it sounds but I doubt it.

How do the working mums and dads in our situation do it?

It's kind of expected that SAHMs should go back to work once their youngest is in school, but I can see perhaps even more benefits of having a parent around then, not less.

I dunno... does anyone know where I am coming from?
    I do I enjoy being a school parent helper and my boys love having me home. It works for us and did for me growing up with my Mum home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I have kids at school and no family support. I work school hours which works for us. Not sure what we'll do when number 4 comes along.

I don't have a problem with mums or dads staying at home so long as their family can afford it. I don't see why it's anyone else's business how families choose to run their lives. Quite frankly our school depends on a lot of sahms to help work in the canteen etc

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (21-03-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    PPL is an important step towards creating a workplace where women can thrive regardless of their choice to have a family.

SAHM choose to forego income, leave, and all the benefits of working in favour of the benefits of being at home. It's called making a choice; the government (aka fellow tax payers) isn't obliged to compensate us for that choice.

(But I'd happily accept a massage... Provided it's not administered by a pollie!)

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Bunny Lover  (20-03-2013),Ellewood  (20-03-2013),Guest654  (20-03-2013),Lillynix  (20-03-2013),Maybelline  (20-03-2013),Meg2  (20-03-2013),MINIRoo  (20-03-2013),Night Owl  (20-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (20-03-2013),wobblermummy  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    PPL is an important step towards creating a workplace where women can thrive regardless of their choice to have a family.

SAHM choose to forego income, leave, and all the benefits of working in favour of the benefits of being at home. It's called making a choice; the government (aka fellow tax payers) isn't obliged to compensate us for that choice.
    Disagree in a way.

I think sahm should be paid something, super at least!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-03-2013),Maybelline  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't have an issue with an increase to the PPL scheme, in fact I support it. Def do not support cuts to the BB though. It's down to 3k for subsequent children, which I think is fair, but I do not support any further cuts.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Interesting... If I (a SAHM) chose to put money into a super account would the government provide anything?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Disagree in a way.

Super is paid by the employer, so I don't see who would pay the SAHM super.

I agree with lambjam, of course it is a perfectly valid choice to be a SAHM, but it isn't something that the government should pay people to do.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (20-03-2013),jfblady72  (20-03-2013),Lillynix  (20-03-2013)