+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    teaching, whether we like it or not, has a political agenda...it has always and will always because we (as teachers) get to chose how we present the information to the children. Our personality goes into the information that we share.

Just as schools that go OTT into naplan prep are playing to an agenda, so are schools that withhold any prep.

By withholding prep from the Year 3 kids, the school is trying to send a message that they don't care about the results. BUT, it is actually disadvantaging the kids and making them the casualty of the political statement.

Tell me any other area where you send kids into something with no forewarning and are happy for them to have a quick practice 5 minutes before they start and nothing else. Sport? Nope, they practice the games they play. Music? Nope, before a choir sings, they learn the songs. Drama? Nope, before a play goes on, they practice. What about any of the extra curric things...nope, all have practice and prep before any kind of challenge. What about things that are not "judged"...doing a speech at assembly? Nope, they would practice that too. They would, by years of going to assembly...know where to go and where to sit and what the format would be. They don't need to know the exact content...because they are familiar with the environment...just like they should be for naplan.

So, because the teachers want to make a political statement, they refuse to run the kids through a bit of practice before hand. Ignoring what is on previous years testing...just do some multiple choice type questions on the stuff you have on your plan. I am sure you do worksheets...just style a couple of them like naplan.

I'm sure you write stories/recounts in class...just give them some topic starters so they are used to that.

To refuse to look deeper at this and admit there is an agenda surprises me. This is very clearly linked to the refusal to accept the changes the gov't is trying to put in while they are not living up to their promises of more support for the schools. And, I do understand that...but, i don't agree with the kids at your school being used as the pawns.

When I had to sit my STAT exam to get into uni, i went and found some practice papers...why? Because, walking in to a room where I had no idea what I was going to be doing was stressful. Now, we got 5 minutes to be talked through the problems too...but, I was so glad I had done some practice.

HSC students, Year 10 students...all do practice for their exams. People who sit the select entry tests for schools...do practice exams (and, when you submit those applications...they want all your NAPLAN results...year 3 included).

I absolutely support strike action and trying to make sure that teachers only work the 40 hour week they are paid for (although I know this is impossible)...but not a blanket refusal to work in the kids best interest when it can be done within existing frameworks and planning.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Silver_Lining  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    But those exams are qualifying, not comparative testing. They tell us 'Jane is capable of this level of course load'.

Good NAPLAN results aren't in the best interest of the child. The child gains nothing from the result, aside from an idea of how much better Jane is than Joe at this particular test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    But those exams are qualifying, not comparative testing. They tell us 'Jane is capable of this level of course load'.

Good NAPLAN results aren't in the best interest of the child. The child gains nothing from the result, aside from an idea of how much better Jane is than Joe at this particular test.
    of course all the above exams I mentioned are comparative...they compare the results and those that do better get offered better things.

I am not saying that they should be the be all and end all...but to deny the children any form of prep before a major national test, of which the results stay on their records and can be used for selective school entry...is political and punitive.

It is in the best interest of the child not to walk into a test (or any event) totally unprepared when there are many simple ways to incorporate that prep into every day classroom activities.

As a parent, knowing how my child is going, is important to me...and NAPLAN is a way of getting that information. As a future teacher, I will not be teaching to the test, but if i have a Year 3 or Year 5 class, I will certainly be making sure they get to try some practice style questions and understand the different way things might be worded or structured. I won't teach them content of past tests...but I will make sure they are happy with the format. Just as I can combine various curric concepts into one lesson (ie PE and maths or ENglish), I can combine these style questions with my planned curric by simply making a small effort when designing the lesson.

I truly believe that not preparing the Year 3 kids is all about making sure they can show good growth to Year 5...it is political and it is manipulative.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    How do those who do better in naplan get offered better things?

Have you ever seen a naplan test before?

Punitive? Oh, this is so funny! You have no idea about the kind of students we have at our school. It's not like they turn up on the day and have never heard of naplan before. We do make it a big deal on the day. It's tradition at our school to cook the students sitting the test pancakes for breakfast and have milk or warm milo because most of our students come to school without breakfast and without any food in their bag, so you see, naplan is not our top priority, ever! To say that we are being political just being ignorant!

Naplan happens only 4 times in a child's schooling life. It's not like a weekly sport or music activity. If you need to know how your child is doing, ask the teacher. I will never understand the competitiveness of some parents who want to compare their children to others. The main thing to worry about is
    1) Is your child making progress?
    2) Are they at age expected levels?
    3) Do they do their best?

Please explain how not preparing multiple choice questions for year 3 students is going to show growth in year 5? You can't read the reading test for them. You can write the writing test for them. You can't even explain what a maths question means, you can only read the question to them.

I just want to add that no, I don't do worksheets. Not sure if you've edited, but I did read that earlier. Worksheets do not teach anything. At my school, the kids don't even use text books.

I'm also curious to know...do they go on about naplan at uni these days?

Just out of interest, here is the school I work at results on myschool! Would probably scare some parents off but I don't give it much weight!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1363894181.475369.jpg

Here is the school my children will be going to...I certainly don't judge a school on naplan alone.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1363894276.985587.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    teaching, whether we like it or not, has a political agenda...it has always and will always because we (as teachers) get to chose how we present the information to the children. Our personality goes into the information that we share.

Just as schools that go OTT into naplan prep are playing to an agenda, so are schools that withhold any prep.

By withholding prep from the Year 3 kids, the school is trying to send a message that they don't care about the results. BUT, it is actually disadvantaging the kids and making them the casualty of the political statement.

Tell me any other area where you send kids into something with no forewarning and are happy for them to have a quick practice 5 minutes before they start and nothing else. Sport? Nope, they practice the games they play. Music? Nope, before a choir sings, they learn the songs. Drama? Nope, before a play goes on, they practice. What about any of the extra curric things...nope, all have practice and prep before any kind of challenge. What about things that are not "judged"...doing a speech at assembly? Nope, they would practice that too. They would, by years of going to assembly...know where to go and where to sit and what the format would be. They don't need to know the exact content...because they are familiar with the environment...just like they should be for naplan.

So, because the teachers want to make a political statement, they refuse to run the kids through a bit of practice before hand. Ignoring what is on previous years testing...just do some multiple choice type questions on the stuff you have on your plan. I am sure you do worksheets...just style a couple of them like naplan.

I'm sure you write stories/recounts in class...just give them some topic starters so they are used to that.

To refuse to look deeper at this and admit there is an agenda surprises me. This is very clearly linked to the refusal to accept the changes the gov't is trying to put in while they are not living up to their promises of more support for the schools. And, I do understand that...but, i don't agree with the kids at your school being used as the pawns.

When I had to sit my STAT exam to get into uni, i went and found some practice papers...why? Because, walking in to a room where I had no idea what I was going to be doing was stressful. Now, we got 5 minutes to be talked through the problems too...but, I was so glad I had done some practice.

HSC students, Year 10 students...all do practice for their exams. People who sit the select entry tests for schools...do practice exams (and, when you submit those applications...they want all your NAPLAN results...year 3 included)

I absolutely support strike action and trying to make sure that teachers only work the 40 hour week they are paid for (although I know this is impossible)...but not a blanket refusal to work in the kids best interest when it can be done within existing frameworks and planning.
    "Just give some topic starters" LOL So now you are telling me how to teach! I am quite capable of teaching my students to write a text! Perhaps I should upload some examples! Yes, we do write stories. The last few years of naplan have been persuasive writing. That doesn't mean as a whole school we've only been teaching that particular text. Now that would be narrowing the curriculum We have done narrative, exposition, discussion, poetry, explanation and information report.

I have not ever been on strike because of the amount of hours I work. I go on strike in the interest of the students. When I'm working (on mat leave ATM) I bring my work home on my laptop. I prepare all my lessons on there because it connects to my interactive whiteboard.

To imply that I don't teach to the test because I don't want to put in the hours and effort is just laughable again. I work very hard. You are making a lot of assumptions about my teaching and making some pretty serious accusations about the school I work in without knowing anything about either.

I hope you'll be a little more open minded as an educator when you have your own class!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 22-03-2013 at 05:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ^ same to everything above. It's a lot more detailed and complicated than just giving 'topic starters' and making up a few multiple choice worksheets

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't teach with worksheets either, and the students have never used a textbook in the 9 years I have been teaching

Thanks
    Reviews
    One more thing- I had a student last year that was in the SAER goul for reading (students at educational risk) he was very very low. His NAPLAN reading score was one of the highest in the class. Most of the questions were multiple choice, and he guessed the majority of them correct. It was impossible for him to copy off someone, as he did his on a different day in a different room (due to being absent). I also had a very bright student who strives for perfection, so kept checking every answer so thoroughly that he didn't get the test completed and got a lower score than he is capable of. Explain to me how this is a true indication of the students' reading ability.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    See as a mum of a non school aged child and not having a clue about all the politics of naplan I would have looked at those results BigredV posted and would think that school was below average and would definitely worry if I had to send my child there? there are about 4 public primary schools in our area and 2 have good reputations and 2 bad, the bad ones have the low naplan scores , but are all in the same postcode

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been reading and not posting but I just had to say.... Agree with everything Bigred has said.
    I'm a teacher of over 15 years.... I've taught year three and year five. I prepare my class for a naplan test by talking about it and maybe looking at one past test on the IWB together. More so in year three than I would year five.
    To sit for hours doing practice tests is a waste of time and a waste of precious curriculum time. I'd rather actually teach my class something useful.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (22-03-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast