+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bible question re old testament.

Now, I've been reading the bible from a purely curious standpoint and I'm currently on the old testament, still in Genesis (I think) but anyway. For the record, if any atheists answer in here, please be respectful of everyone else or I'll ask the mods to close the thread. Work from the premise that God does exist.

If the old testament is correct and Adam and Eve were the beginning of Human kind, where did Canes wife come from? He was banished to another land and suddenly has a wife. So, maybe when the old testament talks about the beginning, it's talking about the beginning of the followers of God, not the beginning in its entirety? Cause there's whole civilizations talked about already from when Adam and Eves grand children go exploring, even given their incredibly long life spans..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    There are 2 thoughts on this ( I'm
    Coming from a Jewish perspective)

1) he married his sister as Adam and Eve had lots of kids ( can't remember but I thought he had twin sisters?)

2) G-d created Adam and Eve but there were already other humans on the earth so when Cain left Eden he joined another tribe

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm now an atheist but... I thought the beginning was the beginning of EVERYTHING, there couldn't have been other tribes before the creation of the world? How long after God created the heavens & earth etc did he create Adam?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to InWatermelonSugar For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    According to this, she was his sister. (All of Adam & Eve's children had to marry eachother for there to be a start to the human race).
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/who-was-cains-wife

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gen. 5:3, 4: “Adam lived on for a hundred and thirty years. Then he became father to a son in his likeness, in his image, and called his name Seth. And the days of Adam after his fathering Seth came to be eight hundred years. Meanwhile he became father to sons and daughters.”

One of Adam’s sons was Cain, and one of Adam’s daughters must have become Cain’s wife. At that time in human history when humans still had outstanding physical health and vitality as the were close to their original perfect state, as indicated by the length of their lives, the likelihood of passing on defects as a result of marrying a close relative was not great.

After some 2,500 years of human history, however, when mankind’s physical condition had greatly deteriorated, God gave to Israel laws forbidding incest.

Hope this helps

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (20-03-2013),gonnabeaGR8mum  (20-03-2013),Mom2TwoDSs  (20-03-2013),Pumpkaboo  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    Gen. 5:3, 4: “Adam lived on for a hundred and thirty years. Then he became father to a son in his likeness, in his image, and called his name Seth. And the days of Adam after his fathering Seth came to be eight hundred years. Meanwhile he became father to sons and daughters.”

One of Adam’s sons was Cain, and one of Adam’s daughters must have become Cain’s wife. At that time in human history when humans still had outstanding physical health and vitality as the were close to their original perfect state, as indicated by the length of their lives, the likelihood of passing on defects as a result of marrying a close relative was not great.

After some 2,500 years of human history, however, when mankind’s physical condition had greatly deteriorated, God gave to Israel laws forbidding incest.

Hope this helps
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    Except from my reading and as I understand it, Seth was born after Cains banishment, so theoretically Cain was banished before his sisters were born.

In fact, Cain and Abel were Adam and Eves first children, or that's how it seems, since Seth replaces Abel as the son Cain killed...

Edit: So upon reading the website, I'm not sure how they got to know when Cain was actually born. Apparently after the eviction from Eden, but it's theorised Cain and Abel could have been 100 years when Abel was killed, allowing time to produce more offspring.

Which means Adam was 30(roughly) when Cain was born. Except the youngest person in the list of people to produce offspring was 70. And that was Kenan who fathered Mahalalel. But the only other children mentioned before the birth of Seth are Cain's.
    So, if Adam had Cain at the age when it was (apparently) normal to have children, then Cain would have been about sixty when he killed Abel. Hmm.
    Last edited by Jennaisme; 20-03-2013 at 10:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm pretty sure in the Midrash (Jewish interpretation of the written hebrew bible) Cain and Able had twin sisters

Unless you read the written Torah ( what you would call the Christian old testament) with the oral Torah ( the instruction manuel!) it really will be hard to make sense of!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 20-03-2013 at 12:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I'm pretty sure in the Midrash (Jewish interpretation of the written hebrew bible) Cain and Able had twin sisters
    Upon further study, in the Jewish Bible, Eve was Adams second wife. His first one was named Lilith and she had a daughter Lilim, who is said to be Cains wife.

When the second creation came out, which is when the book of Genesis was changed late BC, early AD, they phased Lilith out and demonised her to be turned into a succubus. She's mentioned in Isaiah(Sp) though. BUT, this is just incredibly, incredibly brief research.

Reason for edit: Wrong wording.
    Last edited by Jennaisme; 20-03-2013 at 12:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think Lilith is more in Jewish folklore and not in any written texts, but some Jews absolutely beleive G-d had a few goes at making man and kept trying until he liked the ones he made (Adam)
    Which is where the Gentiles came from!