+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default should I roll him over?

DS2 is 7.5mths old and has started rolling over in his sleep onto his tummy. I can tell when this has happened by the noise his breathing makes on the monitor. He doesn't roll back though and I'm wondering whether I should go in and roll him back onto his back or just let him sleep on his tummy. He hasn't cried out while on his tummy at night (though he does cry on his tummy during the day!). He just wriggles around a bit until he falls back asleep. He hasn't worked out how to get to a sitting position yet.

Do you think I should roll him back or just leave him to it unless he cries? Is he safe on his tummy at this age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 9 month old DD has slept on her tummy since about 6 months old. When she first started doing it I would roll her back which ended up disturbing her and waking her up. Now she sleeps on her tummy every night and is fine...

Thanks
    Reviews
    It goes against the SIDs recommendations to let babies sleep on their tummies.

But both my babies slept on their tummies right from the start. I'm a tummy sleeper too.

If he looks comfy enough and as long as there is no blankets or any other obstructions in the cot that could cover his face, he should be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As long as they can roll back they are usually fine, most parents wouldn't know If their child had rolled in the middle of the night or not

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't put a child down in that position but if they do it themselves I would let if go. My DD would wake up stuck and I would have to get up and roll her back, thankfully that only lasted a few weeks before she fixed it herself. From about 10 months it's just a free for all how they sleep and you can't control it. Do you have the monitor with the breathing sensors?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can she roll back herself yet? If yes then is leave her too. But if not, I'd be inclined to roll her back for peace of mind, but that's just me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub is in that situation too. Only difference from yours is he will whinge/cry to be rescued cos he feels awkward in that tummy position. Day time same thing.

I would be inclined to let him sleep on his tummy. They can turn their heads pretty well and so their noses are clear to breathe. Just make sure there is nothing around that can suffocate him like pillows etc.

Does your monitor has the movement monitoring function? I turn that on now in case he rolls and continues to sleep on his tummy (So far no luck, always whinge if rolled onto tummy).

I am letting mine sleep sideway between a sturdy sleep positioner so he cannot roll over it. So far last two nights have been better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD started tummy sleeping from about 6m - if I tried rolling her back, she's roll right over again! I have up in the end - as long as they know to turn their head rather than face plant (which they do at that age) it's all good.