+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Grizzle time/"witching hour"

Our baby just started this. Any tips to get through this? We just comfort her by cuddling. Anything else we can do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is bub? Mine did it till about 3.5 months then stopped. I found evening routine the best. If she didn't sleep well that day she'll be grumpy n nothing will fix it but a bath feed n bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DD was the same. We did the same as you - cuddling.

I don't have any advice, but you might feel better to know that research suggests that almost 80% of babies do the same thing, it peaks at 6 weeks and then gets gradually better until it stops at 12-14 weeks. So even if you don't figure out what to do, it should sort itself out around the 3 month mark.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    She's only 2 and a half weeks and already started!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Firstly, witching "hour" is a fallacy. It's witching "hours" or witching "half-the-freakin-night"!

Secondly, if you've eliminated hungry/cold/hot/nappy/pain, lots of calm comfort and sleep time cues will help settle things over time.

It gets better, they're just over tired from adjusting to the big wide world and it's hard work!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (19-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suggest a sling or carrier. I loved my Menducca. Wear them on your chest, the can snuggle right next to you, feel your breathing, and it frees up your hands. YOu can carry on with some simple chores, hanging up the washing, or still just pace. It ment that I could distract myself a little, and I didnt disturb them if I decided to stand up/sit down etc. If they're going to whinge anyway. . . . .

Another point to consider is that the bodys production of stomach acid is at its greatest at around 4/5pm. Reflux will be at its worse, or appear. Being upright will help.

One of my ladies had appalling wind and reflux. I used to use Infacol with every feed, always helped getting the wind up. I would also use Brauers Stomach Calm. Even though I would get the wind up after each feed with Infacol, whenever I gave a dose I always got more wind up, without fail. My absolute lifesaver!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 2 weeks old, and since birth he seems to cry and grizzle at the 12am feed (which extends out to 3.30am).

I have just started to simply take care of him needing a feed (if he feeds beyond an hour, I take him off, cause I know he isn't actually drinking, just sucking.. Well.. I think I know), ensure he has a clean nappy, swaddle him and put him to bed.

He cries for a while (it feels like 10 mins when in reality, it is 2 mins) on and off, and eventually falls to sleep.

It is so so hard to let him go, and I guess it's not for everyone. But there is a difference in his crying during witching hour and when he wants a feed etc.

Hope it sorts out soon for you!