+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Won't toilet train??

I have a three and a half year old daughter who won't toilet train. We have tried everything!! Potty, toilet, rewards, charts, books, pretty undies and anything and everything else.

She knows when she needs to go and will tell us but won't sit on a potty, toilet, wear undies or even pull ups. If we try to take her nappy off or sit her on a potty she screams and cries.

I'm not sure why?

I don't want to push her but I'm really worried. I don't know what to do? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Take the nappy away and no pull ups (they are the worst thing for TT)
    Nappy ONLY for bed time.
    She will pee and poo herself for a few weeks and then go toilet. Don't give in and put a nappy on no matter what.
    Even if you go shops no nappy. It will be really hard for a few weeks.
    When she pees just tell her that she is a big girl and has to go on the toilet.
    Dont give in she will eventually get it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

pinkdolly  (19-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    yep my ds was the same and i just went hell for leather.... no nappies or pull ups for a week. initially i put nappies on for daytime naps but I found that he would save up his poo for nap time so I started putting him down for daytime nap with just a bare bum. I also found that if your at home (and its not too cold) wearing no pants helps. Dont make too much of a big deal or it will become a battle. It'll happen eventually

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's really sensitive and I'm worried what will happen if I push too hard. I will try the above suggestions. Thanks xxx

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd1 was the same. I tried for months to train her, eventually at 3yo we compromised, she agreed to wee on the loo but ask for a nappy when she needed to poo. That worked right through her third year. She's a sensitive soul too, she reacted with absolute terror when we tried to persuade her to poo in the loo. I just couldn't force her to do it, I didn't have the heart, it would have been hell for her. Eventually I bribed her with a big wrapped present which she could open when she pooed on the loo (4yr 4mo) but I tried 40 other things in that 18m.

Maybe get a potty she likes (let her pick it out) and find a special hiding spot where she can go (again let her pick it). Stick some pretty paper in the fridge & give her a star every time she sits on the potty.

In my experience with potty training a sensitive child, you have to make the opportunities & let them lead, forcing the issue doesn't with with a sensitive child. You'll probably find as she gets older that she has a highly developed sense of self & privacy. Good luck, she will get there in the end!
    Last edited by Gothel; 19-03-2013 at 19:59.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (21-03-2013),tabab  (19-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much Gothel! Her being so sensitive makes every new thing a challenge. I might try something similar to you xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice really, other than try not to stress out over it. Once she's toilet trained. No one will even remember how long she spent in nappies.

I think with a sensitive kid if u upset her emotional self you will do more damage than good, even though by doing so you could toilet train her. (hope that makes sense).

Good luck.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tabab View Post
    Thank you so much Gothel! Her being so sensitive makes every new thing a challenge. I might try something similar to you xx
    You're welcome, hope it helps. Yes it has to be softly softly with the sensitive kids. One bad experience can put them off something for a year. I remember once dd1 had a splinter and I tried to force her to let me look. Well it took 2.5 years before she would ever let me look at a cut or graze again :/ I should have just let the splinter go, but I guess it helped me know her that little bit better.
    Good luck with it anyway let us know if you have any success