+ Reply to Thread
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Gallstones

Tell me everything I need to know about managing the pain. I'm off to the GP today, to tell them I'm having gallstone attacks (3 different GPs have not picked that up, despite the fact that their presence was confirmed by an ultrasound for something else. 'oh no it doesn't sound like gallstones' they all said. Then i spoke to 2 people who had experienced them and read online and yes, that's EXACTLY what they sound like. I digress...) So I'm going to find out my options for them, but if i get them removed it probably won't be for a while. But i need to do something to stop them killing me. I ended up in ER last night (left without being seen as the pain subsided)
    At the moment I'm too scared to eat anything. And am worried that I'll have to eat lettuce leaves with no dressing until I can have surgery. Also wondering how all this is going to affect my milk as DD is only 3 months and exclusively breastfed.
    So basically just give me what you've got. Experiences, advice, etc.
    Thanks.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My sister had gall stones - diet seemed to be the best thing to manage them until she got them removed. Basically nothing too fatty or rich. Steamed white protein and vegies. Min diary. She also cut alot alot of wheat (but she in intolerent to wheat anyway)

They removed her gall bladder 18mths ago but it hasn't really fixed her issues and she still has fatty liver. MY MIL had her gall bladder removed as well and it didn't fix her issues - she is now gluten and diary free.

In TCM they say to never remove the gall bladder and it can be healed/strengthened. So maybe get a few opinoins before you let them chop it out.

I feel for you, two friend who also had gall stone say it was worse then childbirth.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (19-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had them!! I was put on a combination of buscopan and panadeine forte which helped a lot. I also ended up in ED and had a 2 day hospital stay. The pain is horrendous

I went through a stage of regular flare ups. I gave up foods high in fat like ice cream etc for a while. I have not had any issues with mine for about 3 years I guess I either passed the stone or it found its way out of the duct and back into the organ. And I eat whatever I want now.

My gp said that if the pAin got so bad that the buscopan and panadeine forte didn't help then to go in and see her and she would give me a morphene shot.

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have them and am actually pregnant at the moment. I found out same month I found out I was UTD so will have to stick it out till after bubs is born.

GP suggested lots of water. I actually fid when I am dehydrated that's when the pain is at its worst.

I was also told diet which I have been sticking to but I haven't found it makes much of a difference - just the water.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no, gall stones are the worst!

I didn't know I had gall stones until after I had 3 attacks over 4 days. The 3rd attack landed me in hospital and lasted 22 hours. Morphine barely touched the pain. Poor DH thought I was dying!

Afterwards though, I realised that the random back pain (and tightness) I felt sporadically was due to gall stones and for me, movement and activity made it worse (it also made me vomit). So when I felt those twinges starting to surface, I immediately laid down with a heat pack on my front and back and stayed very very still for an hour or 3. I used this technique for 2 more years before I had my gall bladder removed.

Also, for me, diet didn't do diddly. I'd had a low fat diet for many years so that part wasn't a problem. However alcohol, citrus fruits (like OJ) and most tomato based things were the devil! In fact, they still are. I think gall stones destroyed my stomach because I've had extremely terrible heart burn ever since.

I really didn't want to have surgery, but I'm glad I did end up doing it because my gall bladder was chocka-block full of those little evil b@stards!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicMud For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks everyone! The main things I'm concerned about are never being able to eat yummy foods or drink booze ever again, and my kids seeing me in severe pain.
    So I've been to the GP, a new one, who knew what he was talking about because he was a surgeon in Singapore and removed gallbladders all the time. So he is getting a whole lot of bloods and ultrasounds done tomorrow and then I have to see him again on Saturday for him to go through them and then give me a referral for a gastroenterologist.
    He told me until i get treatment I have to 'eat like a Tibetan monk' and then he laughed raucously at me yeah funny for you, mate! No, but he was really good. Button, he was Chinese so talked about tcm too, and I think his gastroenterologist friend is Chinese too so it will be interesting what he suggests.
    But i may have to have it out as i have a fatty liver so if i don't get that under control it will keep producing stones.

Oh, what fun. At least things seem like they'll move quickly now.

Has anyone heard anything about flaxseed oil being good for liver/gallbladder/lowering cholesterol? I forgot to ask the GP, but I have read that it can help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have PHI? I had to wait about 6 or 7 weeks for an appointment with my surgeon, but after I saw him, I was in surgery 3 days later!

What type of pain do you get worse? Is it the front side or in the back, or nausea...? I found heat packs and painkillers work quite well if you do it before the pain gets too far along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get similar pain but nothing showed on my last ultrasound. My Dr said to avoid nurofen as it can aggravate it. Buscopan Forte is the only thing that helps me.