+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What to do with toddler when going into labour & during hospital stay

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't really search on my phone. I'm really curious about what people do when they go into labour and they have a toddler at home? My DS will be 25 months when bub#2 is due. He has never slept over at anyone's place, and neither DH or myself have been away from him for longer than a day (and I mean morning til evening, not 24 hrs)...

I assume DS can't stay with us in hospital, and I can't imagine labouring without my DH by my side.. Also cant imagine staying for days in the hospital without dh or ds, but i remember how great it felt having those 4 days in the hospital with midwives on call to help when i wss struggling..

So what did you 2nd,3rd etc time mummies do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't got to this stage yet but I will be leaving him with mum when bub number 2 comes along.
    If you have someone who can watch him, but you are worried about leaving him, have a few 'practice' runs first where he has a sleepover with whoever will be watching him, so that by the time you need to go to the hospital he has become accustomed to being there without mummy and daddy.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 4 days in hospital, your DH can watch him at home once the birth is over and he can visit you every day so he will probably be fine for that part.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A test run sleepover is a great idea! I was thinking of having my sister stay at our house with DS if I go into labour at night or I can drop him off at her place on the way to hospital if its during the day.. I kind of want DH with me during the hospital stay. I remember how hard it was with DS crying all night and it being impossible to wrap him etc.. Maybe it will be easier 2nd time round ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was the same as you. Ds had never spent a night away from me and does not let anyone else but me put him to sleep. I had mil come round here (not while I was in labour she came when we left for the hospital). I did that because I wanted to stay with ds for as long as possible but looking back I should have sent him round there to stay. He didn't cope with it very well and I think it was made worse seeing me in that condition and also mummy just disappearing and not coming home for the night. If I could do it again I would have got him used to sleeping at other peoples houses...because even if you don't want him to stay away from you now once the new bub comes it will come in very handy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just read your last post. DS would scream for hours at night too and slept terribly so that is what we were preparing for. However ds2 came home and slept beautifully from the first night so try not to be too worried about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL came over to look after DD. We called her when I went into labor and she got here about an hr later, I pretty quick labor second time round so we left for hospital as soon as she arrived. DH went home after I was showered and settled to collect DD to meet her brother. DH slept at home with DD, I was in hospital for 1 night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS stayed at my mums.. The plan originally was that mum would stay at our house the night of the birth, but when waters broke one night without any other signs I managed to get him to her house.. Came home later as nothing was happening, then the next night he stayed at mums again with no problems even though he'd never had a sleep over. He loves co sleeping so she just did that to make it special. I came home 6 hours after I gave birth, so can't help with the extended stay..!
    I like the trial sleep over idea.. Maybe you and bub could stay together a couple of times, then a couple of times without you being there..?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD stayed at my parents for a couple of nights while I was in labour. she had stayed overnight there before but never two nights. After the (long) labour, DH took her home and stayed with her/took her to activities so her routine wasn't too disrupted. It meant he didn't get to spend much time with DS and I in hospital but it was kind of nice for me to bond with DS and have lots if opportunity to establish breastfeeding. It helped that DS was pretty sleepy still (jaundice) so wasn't hard to look after in hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies ladies. A few things for me to think about and try out thankfully DS sleeps really well now and is easy to put to sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had inductions so I knew when I needed someone to watch my others. We had my MIL come down when DD2 was born. I went in the night before, DD1 woke up in her own bed and DH left her for a day of fun with Nana just after breakfast. DD2 was born that afternoon. DH went home and picked up DD and MIL to visit and then DH came back a bit later by himself after DD had gone to bed. He was then back at home and visited with DD everyday until I came home. DD1 was 19 months at the time.
    When DS was born, DD's were 3.5 and 23 months. My parents came and stayed a couple of nights and the girls were fine. I think bringing their own environment makes a huge difference, and DH was back home after the birth day which helps too.