+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stretch and Sweep

Has anyone ever had a stretch and sweep and what are your opinions on them?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had one when I was 9 days over. It was pretty uncomfortable, my then 3yo was pretty upset at the middy!

It definitely hurried me along, I lost the plug that day, prelabour that night, and DS was born mid afternoon the next day. I think I would have gone within 48 hours anyway, but that was cutting it too close to induction date.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had one when I was 6 days over. I described the feeling to my husband as being "punched in the vagina" lol. But it prepared me for the internal exams once I was in labour, they feel the same. I went into labour 4 hours later and bub was born about 26 hours after the S&S. I'm pretty sure the S&S is what caused me to go into labour as I hadn't had any signs prior to it that I was ever going to go into labour myself!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a few done while I was pregnant. The 3rd one caused me to lose my plug 2 days later (I think). I then went into latent labour that night and went into the hospital for my induction the next day. I was 9 days over. I had my first done a week before my due date, second just after my due date and the last just before I was 41 weeks. I don't think it really helped much as I was having tightenings for about 3 weeks before DS was born

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I had one when I was 6 days over. I described the feeling to my husband as being "punched in the vagina" lol. But it prepared me for the internal exams once I was in labour, they feel the same. I went into labour 4 hours later and bub was born about 26 hours after the S&S. I'm pretty sure the S&S is what caused me to go into labour as I hadn't had any signs prior to it that I was ever going to go into labour myself!
    I was feeling very much the same. LOVE the "punched in the vagina" description, it's spot on!
    I had s&s done at 40weeks, felt like id been "punched in the vagina" that day. Had no symptoms before hand.
    The next day i felt light cramping, then that night i had a bit of bloody disharge with regular full on cramps by 3am. DS was born 8pm the following night.
    I do think it helped me move along.
    It does feel very similar to the internal exams u get while in labour but i found they are more painful when ur in labour, esp when ur having a contraction while the doc is doing one. owwie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I believe that they worked for me. I did not find them very painful, more uncomfortable. But this may have been due to the fact that I was already around 3cm dilated at the time. I lost my mucus plug not long after the S&S, went into pre-labour and DD was born within the next 2-3 days each time

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they have worked for me also.

Had them with my three youngest, and each time have gone into labour that night.

I too find them more uncomfortable, not really painful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had 2 - one at 39 weeks and one at 40 weeks. They were about as uncomfy as a Pap smear. Didn't help to bring on labour or to dilate my cervix. Waste of time and I won't be getting it again this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one at 7 days over- no signs of labour at all. It was slightly uncomfortable but just like a pap smear or internal ultrasound. I had my show the next morning and went into labour so I think it definitely helped things along. If I go over again with this bub then I will ask for one again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had 2. Both on my due dates. Both I believe got my labour going. I did not find them painful, just uncomfortable.