+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default comfort feeding

is comfort feeding my 11 week old to settle/sleep going to form bad habbits for long term?

Ds will only settle off to sleep after a comfort feed. Soemtimes he will close his eyes and drop off straight away and go to sleep but sometimes he will just become sleepy and i'll take him off and put him to bed and he will go off to sleep.
    Im trying other techniques for him to settle and also giving him oportunity to self settle at every sleep. Nothing else works and i try for 45mins-hr. After that i'll feed him as he's all worked up. He will suckle for all of 2mins before he's calmed down.

He wont take a dummy or bottle yet will easily settle off to sleep for anyone else but me.
    We dont have feeding issues.

My mum said she used to do it to her kids and we just grew out of it. ds is very young it might just be what he needs at this age and may also grow out of it when he starts having regular and longer feeds/sleeps and learns to self settle or begins to use a comforter.

Im happy doing it as long as im not setting myself up for issues later on. On the other hand i'd sometimes love it if he'd just go to sleep without my boobs.

Any advice on this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I did it with DS1 and if anything I loved that he would comfort feed when we were out because it meant if he was overtired, overwhelmed by the environment I could just feed him and he would go to sleep.

DS2 is only 8 weeks but will only go to sleep feeding during the night when he is hungry anyway. So I'm going to have to find other ways to deal with him. Lol.

If you don't mind doing it then go ahead. They will grow out of it

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (18-03-2013),Sarelou  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ive had no luck yet again getting ds to sleep so im laying here next to him with boob in mouth. when i think he is asleep i take him off but he waks straight away.
    im confused if i should count this as a feed? we lay here for 2hrs while he suckles on and off while sleeping. i feel numerous let downs and he begins gulping iit down.
    when he wakes after the 2 hrs he is happy for an hr then wants a feed again. it just screws with the feed play sleep i was following.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Comfort feeding is a way bub makes sure mum has lots of milk. Both my girls have used me for comfort/dummies. Its ok and perfectly normal.

But if it bothers you. Liz pantley has a method to get bub asleep OFF the boob. Its worked for both my girls. I started it with DD2 around 10wks old.

Btw there is a huge growth spurt at 3mths so bub could be preparing for it?

And both girls of mine fall asleep now with no boob. So its not damaging at all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (20-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Another comfort feeder here, and I can see more benefits from comfort feeding than not. I love being able to comfort my baby and if that means extra feeds 'just because' then I, as a demand feeder am happy to oblige because a lot of time it can also be a prelude to something (other than food source) such as wonder weeks/growth spurts so upping the milk supply, distress, sickness etc.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about wondering whether you're setting him up for issues of settling etc later, it's all a natural and normal positive of the feeding relationship and I know with my kids, none of them had dummies etc and once weaned they happily went off to sleep with no issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the advice, it all makes sense. I guess the best thing to do is go with his cues and not to be affraid to offer boob for comfort 'just because' and not necessarily for milk. Im happy to do it, sometimes i would like him so self settle as i have things to do but generally i will feed him off to sleep and comfort feed him back to sleep.
    yesterday when he pretty much fed for 2hrs while we had a rest on the bed, he woke at 3 and was quite content till 5pm but i knew it was also tiredness so i fed him to sleep.
    i will have a read of that Liz Pantley ...