+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am in qld and could have delayed ds1 to start this year instead of last year (which I wish I did) and my next door neighbour whos son goes to same school did hold her son back and he went into prep not year 1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    You can delay prep in QLD without much effort, maybe it depends on the school?

I know a hubber on here in QLD who had little trouble delaying her son's entry to prep and he is a very capable, normal little 4 year old, he just wasn't ready (as many aren't).
    We looked into it. Most schools in the area south of brisbane wouldny sign off on delayed prep start unless there was a medical or behavioural reason why that could be signed off on by a paed etc. A friend of mine delayed her son who has ASD but we were told if we didnt send DS1 this year then he would go straight into year 1 next year.

I have several friends who are primary school teachers in the brisbane/gold coast area and they have all confirmed that it is incredibly difficult to hold them back here and most teachers recommend against it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (19-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I've heard that qld is very strict like that . Ridiculous IMO. Here in SA the only rule is that child must be in full time school by the time they turn 6. So much more flexible.
    That is pretty much the rule here too, but prep isnt compulsory so if you dont send them the year they are scheduled to start, they generally skip the prep year altogether and start in year 1. So they dont have to start at 4.5 but they potentially miss out on a year of schooling unless your lucky and can get it signed off which is difficult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    We looked into it. Most schools in the area south of brisbane wouldny sign off on delayed prep start unless there was a medical or behavioural reason why that could be signed off on by a paed etc. A friend of mine delayed her son who has ASD but we were told if we didnt send DS1 this year then he would go straight into year 1 next year.

I have several friends who are primary school teachers in the brisbane/gold coast area and they have all confirmed that it is incredibly difficult to hold them back here and most teachers recommend against it.
    Interesting. Her kid's on the Gold Coast.

My kid's school in on the Gold Coast too, but is an alternative school and they delay every kids entry into full time schooling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well our experience was all NO NO NO. Can't delay, no chance, we (qld education) know best.

It may be that some people know of one person who could and did delay (which is great, I truly believe it should be a more available option) but from my personal experience and from talking to other parents and teachers it is not easy to delay starting prep.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (19-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    Yup, I had the same experience. I hated being the youngest.
    Me 3..

Im born on the 29th of June so i was always the youngest.

I never noticed it being an issue until I did my HSC & 1st year uni and i was such a 'baby' in hindsight. I couldnt think for myself and really struggled to be mature and to make decisions that would impact me/my career for the rest of my life.

I was 1 year too young i think, by the time i was 18.5, (one year later), my head was much more in the right place.

Ah what to do with my kids now...

Thanks
    Reviews
    See I think what a lot of you are talking about comes down to school policy on dealing with children at different levels - if they are advanced academically the school needs to be able to support that, it shouldn't mean sending them young. To me it says more about finding for gifted kids and availability of quality preschool program's than age. I think every child should go in the year they turn six, with teachers given the training and financial support to deal with the full spectrum of abilities of that age group. Again if it was uniform across the country with one year for all, then none of us would have to agonise like we do.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (19-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Are you even allowed to?

A lot of schools are quite strict about it here. I know SIL has been trying to get her son in early - he misses out by ONE DAY and she's been refused, at several schools.

I would have loved to have sent DD early. She would have thrived. She spent the year before school bored out of her mind with preschool programs (because she's well beyond that academically), and has spend the following school years bored as well, and every year the Vice Principal attempts to bump her up another year level, but the Guidance Counsellor stops it from going ahead (he has told me he wouldn't allow it unless she was Mensa material). I did ask if she could begin a year ahead, but was told no. I wish I had fought for it a bit more, but not sure it would have gone anywhere... I know how pushy and scary SIL is... and if she's not getting anywhere I'm not sure I would have either (we're 25 days past cut-off).
    I'd be interested to see how your SIL goes if you wouldn't mind letting me know the eventual outcome! ( or anyone else who's tried to send their

My DD is in early May so well within the QLD cut off, however we've recently moved interstate to where the cutoff is the end of April. We eventually want to move back to QLD but DD will probably already be in primary school by that time and (provided she's ready to go) I'd rather let her be in the same year as her QLD counterparts will be!
    I guess I'm a bit biased too as I was one of the oldest in my year (due to an interstate move) I was bored in class, there were people in the year above me who I got along better with than the ones in my year, and as a PP said I hated being in an older bracket than most other people for sports! So I know I'm biased there. But would appreciate any stories of people who've managed to start their kids early

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apologies if this is slightly off track, but has anyone had experience with prems being held down due to the corrected age falling within the next school year?

DD is only 10 months, but our situation will be this: here we have 1 July cut off, her birthday is end of May, so she will be amongst the youngest. However, her due date was early September - and developmentally everything is centred around this, if not slightly delayed further by her difficult start. So if she was born on her due date (or even 8 weeks before!) she should be in the group that starts the following year.

Would it be expected she start by her correct age? I know a lot of prems don't even use corrected age nearing school age, but for such a micro prem I am told it still may be used if her development reflects it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    Apologies if this is slightly off track, but has anyone had experience with prems being held down due to the corrected age falling within the next school year?

DD is only 10 months, but our situation will be this: here we have 1 July cut off, her birthday is end of May, so she will be amongst the youngest. However, her due date was early September - and developmentally everything is centred around this, if not slightly delayed further by her difficult start. So if she was born on her due date (or even 8 weeks before!) she should be in the group that starts the following year.

Would it be expected she start by her correct age? I know a lot of prems don't even use corrected age nearing school age, but for such a micro prem I am told it still may be used if her development reflects it.
    I am fairly certain that it is at parents discretion in that type of situation. A friend of mine had her son at 32 weeks and she will be holding him back (meant to be a july bub but was born early may) but I also have friends who have sent their prems according to their actual age not corrected age. If in qld you would have to speak to your potential school choices and see what they say...