+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I sent my child late. She is a late feb baby and I chose to start her at almost 6 rather than almost 5. It was the best thing I could have done. She is so far ahead academically, socially and physically and it's given her a real boost to the start of her schooling.
    I will also be holding my twins back (late march babies).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sent my child late. She is a late feb baby and I chose to start her at almost 6 rather than almost 5. It was the best thing I could have done. She is so far ahead academically, socially and physically and it's given her a real boost to the start of her schooling.

If I had a baby born in April or may I would hold them back no question. I just couldn't imagine my 4 year old being in full time formal schooling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If I were unsure, I would hold them back. While I think some kids really strive with being sent early- I think more damage can be done being sent early rather than being held back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post

If I had a baby born in April or may I would hold them back no question. I just couldn't imagine my 4 year old being in full time formal schooling.
    I tried to delay ds1 starting prep (QLD). He's a May baby. There is no way he was ready at 4.5 to start but unfortunately education qld didn't see it that way He ended up repeating prep last year.

I fear we may be in the same position again soon as ds2 is also a May baby and will be 4 this year. I just wish the department would realise that parents do know their child best and you cannot make a blanket decision

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    my girl will be 5 end January .. I was going to send her to prep next year .. But now I am not sure if that is wise . She is very bright and social .. Everyone says she will be bored by term 4 at kindy and ready for school .. But I don't want her to be one of the younger ones .. If holding her back means she will have huge advantage over other kids academically and physically etc .. I should maybe wait till she is closer to 6 ..long term could be hugely beneficial for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingchipmunk View Post
    I tried to delay ds1 starting prep (QLD). He's a May baby. There is no way he was ready at 4.5 to start but unfortunately education qld didn't see it that way He ended up repeating prep last year.

I fear we may be in the same position again soon as ds2 is also a May baby and will be 4 this year. I just wish the department would realise that parents do know their child best and you cannot make a blanket decision

I've heard that qld is very strict like that . Ridiculous IMO. Here in SA the only rule is that child must be in full time school by the time they turn 6. So much more flexible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I only found out through BH that you can't hold them back in qld! So glad I live in nsw, my daughter will be 5 in May and there's no way she would've been ready to start this year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I was one of the youngest in my year and although I never struggled socially or academically (I actually excelled), I found it hard to be in different age groups for sports to my friends. I also found as we got older, the age difference became an issue; I was the last to get my license, turn 18, etc. It also meant that if I left in yr 10 I would have only been 15 and if I left in year 12 only 17.
    Yup, I had the same experience. I hated being the youngest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I only found out through BH that you can't hold them back in qld! So glad I live in nsw, my daughter will be 5 in May and there's no way she would've been ready to start this year.
    There are some circumstances where you can but we didn't meet any, ie premature birth, special needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can delay prep in QLD without much effort, maybe it depends on the school?

I know a hubber on here in QLD who had little trouble delaying her son's entry to prep and he is a very capable, normal little 4 year old, he just wasn't ready (as many aren't).