+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    School is not just about alphabet, reading etc. There is so much more to consider than just academics.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (19-03-2013),CMF  (18-03-2013),delirium  (19-03-2013),Eko  (20-03-2013),goldencrumble  (19-03-2013),Maybelline  (19-03-2013),MissMuppet  (19-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
    I agree, they can learn so much at home and its very easy to get workbooks and worksheets to teach them basic ABC number and logical thinking tasks.
    Reading eggs is another great interactive tool for kids.
    Kids learn from play and from their parents/carers not just in the classroom.
    True but not always possible to stimulate a child in the way they need when you have another child at home with extra needs who unfortunately demands more of your time.

That and as stated previously, it is extremely difficult to hold your child back in qld.

I am confident that I have done whats best for my son, just like I would fight to start my DS2 later if he had of been born before the cut off and meant to be starting earlier, because it is what is best for him. I believe it is individual of each child when they are ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son is 4 in late June (youngest in his class). He is in kindy 5 days a fortnight his yr (we are in WA, not sure what other states call it). He is absolutely thriving. He loves it and was so ready. He has always been a very clever boy and socially quite advanced for his age. It would have definitely been detrimental to him had we chosen to hold him back based purely on his birthday (and being a boy), in my mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Some kids are beyond reading eggs and basic ABC stuff long before school though. DD was.
    That's true, thats why its really should be based on a kid by kid basis.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue Dragon For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (18-03-2013),SassyMummy  (19-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD started prep this year and turns 5 in May. She is going ahead in leaps and bounds- has received two behaviour certificates, a "student of the week" award, knows all her sight words already and is devouring her home readers.
    She was well and truly ready to start school, and loves every second of it. We are confident that we might the right decision in sending her this year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Some kids are beyond reading eggs and basic ABC stuff long before school though. DD was.
    Reading eggs goes up to year 6 level or around about there my son reads chapter books on it all the time. I know my sons school said to me don't worry about where they are up to academically when you think about starting them early the most important thing is if they are socially ready and able to show empathy. Unfortunately with social issues the immaturity doesn't show til later grades.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to our4boys For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (19-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you OP for starting this thread

I am struggling with this at the moment.

DS's bday is on 25 January, he is 3 now and is currently at preschool (not child care) 1 day a week. He loves it.

However, im worried about sending him when he turns 5. He is (stature wise) quite little, and I worry about him being not emotionally or mentally ready to cope with school. Not even so much in primary, but more for when he is in year 11 and 12.

I have 17 year old twin nephews who are doing year 12 at the moment. One of them is not coping at all, even though he is the dux of his class. He is really struggling with the maturity needed to complete his studies.

My sister says she would have preferred to hold them back a year with hindsight.

Im wondering the same thing for my DS now, but that would virtually mean 3 years of preschool as he is doing 1 day a week now.

What would you do???

Pls give any advise if you can.

Sorry to hijack OP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Thank you OP for starting this thread

I am struggling with this at the moment.

DS's bday is on 25 January, he is 3 now and is currently at preschool (not child care) 1 day a week. He loves it.

However, im worried about sending him when he turns 5. He is (stature wise) quite little, and I worry about him being not emotionally or mentally ready to cope with school. Not even so much in primary, but more for when he is in year 11 and 12.

I have 17 year old twin nephews who are doing year 12 at the moment. One of them is not coping at all, even though he is the dux of his class. He is really struggling with the maturity needed to complete his studies.

My sister says she would have preferred to hold them back a year with hindsight.

Im wondering the same thing for my DS now, but that would virtually mean 3 years of preschool as he is doing 1 day a week now.

What would you do???

Pls give any advise if you can.

Sorry to hijack OP
    I am doing the same with my boy,
    I waited until he was just about to supposed to start 4yo kinder to decide and felt he wasn't ready so deferred him another year.
    He will start kinder (vic) at 5yo and prep as a 6yo.

You can still keep doing the daycare at 1 day a week and put him in a 3 day a week kinder program the year before he starts school.

We do playgroup, swimming, story time during the week for socialization and then do outings when we feel like it, like the museum, zoo, aqaurium, parks,beach, playcentres, picnics, walks, catch up with friends etc

Its still early in the year, just keep your options open and judge what to do later on the year depending on how he is going.

Also wanted to add that you can always do 2 years of kinder if he needs it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is a mid July baby and 4.5 years old. We kept him back this year.

Our issue is that we are being posted at the end of the year with the RAAF. I really hope we stay in NSW because Im worried about the changes in age requirements and different levels of education from state to state. To add to the issue is my DD will be starting high school next year. It really is worrying me.

I really wish it would be a national set age when to start school. Im not saying any one state is right. I just wish they could all agree.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amira For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (19-03-2013),SimplyMum  (19-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS2 started school this year in NSW- official cutoff is 31 July- he turned 5 mid-March. I would not call it sending him 'early'. He is socially ready and can comply with the requirements of school (being able to sit still, do as he is told and so on and being able to handle himself well with kids from kindy to year 6 without getting overwhelmed, no meltdowns at drop off etc). He's just a nice, normal, placid kid. I think the social readiness aspect is important. He can't read or write much as yet, he started at Level 1 like most of the class, but that is what school is for, so each day he makes appropriate progress academically. I have looked at lots of private schools for highschool in NSW and they have a cutoff of 31 March. I think March is fine, but it comes down to each child. We based our decision on our own feelings, as well as the opinion of his childcare teachers as well as the Principal of his school who thought he was fine to start as per normal. I think it would have been abnormal to 'hold him back' another year. I also think temperament can be important. Everyone has their own experience and opinion- this was ours. Good luck everyone.