+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dd will be 4 this June and we will be sending her to school next year.

However, my ds who is a June baby as well, will most likely not go until he is 5.

It totally depends on your child. My dd would be bored if she were to stay home another year, and socially she will thrive. My ds on the other hand, already doesn't have the language skills my dd had at his age or social/emotional, or reasoning skills. He will be much more benefited by having the extra year out of formal schooling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am really curious, what do people see as the dangers of sending them later? O couple of earlier posts mentioned it being possibly detrimental, doing more harm than good, and I just don't get it! What is honestly the worse that could happen? I am not trying to be argumentative, just have never understood it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (18-03-2013),CMF  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't think there's any "dangers" in making them wait, but I know that my daughter LOVES learning, but finds that she gets very little challenge at school despite getting put in other classes several times a week, getting additional and more difficult schoolwork etc.

She's the type of kid who spends her free time at home reading (she goes through several "Goosebumps," or "Roald Dahl," type books a week), doing Naplan preparation textbooks, getting me to write her out sums, etc. She LOVES homework and does the whole week's in one go. lol. She is a big nerd who loves learning.

She would have done much better to start earlier - because she can only get so much extra help from the school, and try as they might, it's not enough for her. I worry that she's going to get frustrated at the lack of challenge and just not bother. I also figure that since she loves it so much, and is quite intelligent, she really should have started in 2010 rather than the 2011 she began in.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (19-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    I am really curious, what do people see as the dangers of sending them later? O couple of earlier posts mentioned it being possibly detrimental, doing more harm than good, and I just don't get it! What is honestly the worse that could happen? I am not trying to be argumentative, just have never understood it.
    My son was very very bored in pre-prep. We were doing insane amounts of stuff outside of his school hours to try and keep him stimulated.

As it is now, he is already bored in prep because he finishes his work too quickly and as a result it is affecting his behaviour (he becomes disruptive and has been called the class clown because of this) and we are worried about this continuing and him becoming more and more disruptive.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (18-03-2013),SassyMummy  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    I need to come back & read this thread!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am starting my son later at 6yo because socially he isn't ready and I believe 6yo is a much better age to start than 4/5yo.

They benefit and grow from having an extra year at home.

In the end its your child and you have to do what you feel is right for your little one, listen to your insticts and don't let other peoples opinions sway your own judgement.
    Last edited by Blue Dragon; 23-03-2013 at 14:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think most kids tend to get bored by age 4-5. It's just what happens, some are ready and some aren't but I don't believe boredom is an indication. My son is bored now and my eldest was bored in kinder also. If I could turn back time and plan my son just 6 weeks earlier I'd be so happy to keep him home another year ! He is 5 in June and starts prep next year and is dying to go to school! Argh what's the rush buddy you have 13 years of schooling give or take just stay with me one more year

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post

I agree, they can learn so much at home and its very easy to get workbooks and worksheets to teach them basic ABC number and logical thinking tasks.
    Reading eggs is another great interactive tool for kids.
    Kids learn from play and from their parents/carers not just in the classroom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Some kids are beyond reading eggs and basic ABC stuff long before school though. DD was.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (18-03-2013)