+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am from Perth and growing up you started in the calendar year you turn 5. I am late December so started school just after I turned 4. I loved it and didn't have any problems academically or socially. I did have all older siblings / close family so was dying to "be as big as them" and go to school!

Thanks
    Reviews
    In Queensland, the cut off date used to be 6 months earlier than it is now (calendar year - so a child had to be turning 5 any time January - December) starting prep (preschool as it used to be called), so there would be some children in a class, who may have only just turned 4 on December 31, and they were supposed to start prep the next month. 2 of my children fell into this category - and I did hold them back. Several people have commented that you cannot hold them back in Queensland, in our experience this is not true - you have to push very hard, and show due cause (letters from teachers) even exaggerate your cause for concern, but if you feel strongly enough about it, it can happen. They have both excelled academically, but the requirement to compete in sporting events (as the youngest and of a lower grade) has occasionally been difficult for them, but for us, it is a minor issue. If my 2 boys had been born a couple of years later, it wouldn't have even been an issue as they would have automatically gone into the appropriate year for their development.

I did want to comment that I think it is definitely less relevant now (in Qld) than it used to be, as the youngest a child will be starting prep is 4 and a half, so in grade one, the youngest they will be starting is 5 and a half. This seems to be a very unpopular opinion now, as most still seem to think this is too young to be starting school? For the majority, I think this is fine, there are always exceptions but for the most part I think people are overthinking it and worrying where there's no need.

I do think it is really quite weird and hard to understand why all the states have different starting ages. There should be just an agreed age for the entire country, and then evaluate individual children if required. Just going by many comments here, and on the 60 minutes facebook page about this topic, most people seem to think the average age of 5 or even six is still too young for the first year of formal schooling. I don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What is annoying me is we knew our boy would struggle as he is in that younger bracket being born in april, socially, emotionally and accademically he struggled last year in prep and even with the support of his prep teacher who thought it would be good for him to repeat prep this year the school insisted that he will be fine in year 1 and if he starts to struggle he would get the help he needed. Well suprise suprise he is not coping and because of this he is starting to act up becomimg the so called class clown because he doesnt understand or keep up with the work. I had a meeting with his teacher who told me that I need to work more with him at home, but she couldnt give me any helpful ways to do this and the way I was taught is not the way they do it now days so ds is getting frustrated which I can't blame him. When I asked for more one on one help for him she told me there wasnt that help at the school :what: so I said maybe to look at a tutor she said no that he's only in year 1 ajd wasnt nessesary so what am I now to do? I am waiting for the learning support teacher to ring me back to see what she can do for ds. If she wont help I will be going to the principle as this is unacceptable especially seeing as this is a private school so I am paying for them to give my son the best start. Sorry for long vent it just upsets me as if they had just listened to me the parent he would be where he should be

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big Red V, I didn't say you, or anybody else wanted to hold onto their children forever. I didn't mention people's reasons at all, simply that it was mostly parent-led rather than school-recommended.
    DancingChipmunk, attack me? The thought never would have entered my mind. Surely we can hold and state differing opinions without it being misconstrued as an attack? I'm sorry your son didn't cope. I hope he is happy and doing well where he is now. There will always be kids who genuinely aren't ready and need more time or support, but that's not necessarily true in every case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    Big Red V, I didn't say you, or anybody else wanted to hold onto their children forever. I didn't mention people's reasons at all, simply that it was mostly parent-led rather than school-recommended.
    DancingChipmunk, attack me? The thought never would have entered my mind. Surely we can hold and state differing opinions without it being misconstrued as an attack? I'm sorry your son didn't cope. I hope he is happy and doing well where he is now. There will always be kids who genuinely aren't ready and need more time or support, but that's not necessarily true in every case.
    just wanted to make sure that came across though. You can't read the tone of posts and I've seen plenty get misinterpreted on here. All good

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    School recommended?

I'm a teacher in a school and we would never recommend a parent to absolutely start their child at 4, we would consult with them first, but most actually go against what we usually recommend and start their child before turning 5!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (24-03-2013),twotrunks  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Agree Something, some kids are ready. My DD is a Sept baby, so in NSW couldn't go early. While in hindsight I still wouldn't have sent her, she most certainly would have coped.

I just think the rule in QLD that you have to send them unless premie or special needs is wrong. Parents know their kids, and just as you knew you child was ready, many know theirs aren't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    School recommended?

I'm a teacher in a school and we would never recommend a parent to absolutely start their child at 4, we would consult with them first, but most actually go against what we usually recommend and start their child before turning 5!
    This was my MIL's experience too.

I know it's only one person's opinion, but according to her she only ever taught 1 child who ended up being truly ready after the school initially thought they weren't. It was much more common that the parents insisted their child was ready, and they weren't. If that makes sense...

Just her opinion - I'm not saying I agree or disagree because I wouldn't have a clue! But I guess 30 years experience should count for *something*.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Agree Something, some kids are ready. My DD is a Sept baby, so in NSW couldn't go early. While in hindsight I still wouldn't have sent her, she most certainly would have coped.

I just think the rule in QLD that you have to send them unless premie or special needs is wrong. Parents know their kids, and just as you knew you child was ready, many know theirs aren't.
    No, it's not a rule, just the rule for the majority - I was able to start both of mine later. Neither are special needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    No, it's not a rule, just the rule for the majority - I was able to start both of mine later. Neither are special needs.
    Ahhh ok. I just read earlier that they were the only 2 out-clauses. I'm glad to hear there is the ability to hold them back