+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Did you send your child to school (as the youngest child) and regret it?

For those interstate readers. I am talking about the first year of formal schooling where the child attends a full day, 5 days a week.

In QLD, my DD will turn 5, 7 days before the cut off date. She will be the youngest in her class.

Has anyone sent their child 'young' and regretted it? OR

Has anyone sent their child 'late' and it was the best thing they ever did?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (19-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did.

My DDs birthday is five days before cut off.

In some ways she was very ready, but socially/emotionally she was not.

Now she is in Year 1, they 'claim' that they will give her support where she is. I have not seen any.

At the end of prep she was right where she needed to be academically. I spoke to them about repeating her but was told it is not current policy. They would rather give her additional support.

I would rather have given her another year at pre-school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister is born december 31 ( back when it was calendar not financial year) she struggled at school socially, emotionally and academically mum kept her back in year 1 and it was the best thing she said she did

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    For those interstate readers. I am talking about the first year of formal schooling where the child attends a full day, 5 days a week.

In QLD, my DD will turn 5, 7 days before the cut off date. She will be the youngest in her class.

Has anyone sent their child 'young' and regretted it? OR

Has anyone sent their child 'late' and it was the best thing they ever did?
    DS1 was 5 one week before the Victorian school cut off.
    We held him back and it was the BEST thing we ever did.
    Academically he's performing well above where he should be and they are catering for that.
    But socially, emotionally etc he's exactly where he should be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was one of the youngest in my year and although I never struggled socially or academically (I actually excelled), I found it hard to be in different age groups for sports to my friends. I also found as we got older, the age difference became an issue; I was the last to get my license, turn 18, etc. It also meant that if I left in yr 10 I would have only been 15 and if I left in year 12 only 17.
    I will have the choice with dd as she is a March bub and I won't be sending her until the year she turns 6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as we were discussing this after watching 60 mins last night, DS is only just about to turn 2 years old but I already think I would be more comfortable sending him a year later than he is eligible. He is an April baby.

I personally started school at 4yrs old (turning 5 that year) we lived in New Zealand and this was the compulsory age to start school. While academically I was well above my peers I definitely struggles socially and emotionally and will forever be grateful for our move to Australia and the decision my parents and principle made to put me back into grade 1 instead of grade 2. It definitely helped socially and even though I was well above my peers academically I needed the extra year socially to be on par with them. I was well supported academically and would go into the grade 3 class for math and English and was given work that was suitable to where I was compared to the other kids having had a whole extra year of schooling compared to my year 1 class here. It was definitely the best choice for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD5, now 9yo in year 5, has her birthday on the cutoff, so was the youngest in her class. She was a little behind in year 1 and 2, but caught up nicely by year 3.

The big problem for her was when she went into year 4. Because she was physically small for her age, and the youngest in her year, she made friends with the kids a year lower than her. Due to the school having composite classes, many were in the same class as her. But when she moved up to year 4 and her friends were all in year 3, suddenly there was this massive gulf.

She was now in a 4/5 composite, and her friends were in 2/3 composites, but the school playground areas were also divided into senior (4-7) and junior (P-3) and the two groups were not allowed to go to the other areas. So this meant the only place she could see her friends was in the library.

PS: No I don't regret her going as the youngest in her class. The above just points out the downsides.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 18-03-2013 at 14:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds is born may 11th so has the potential to be one of the youngest. I will definitely be keeping a open mind to keeping him back a year .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    I did.

My DDs birthday is five days before cut off.

In some ways she was very ready, but socially/emotionally she was not.

Now she is in Year 1, they 'claim' that they will give her support where she is. I have not seen any.

At the end of prep she was right where she needed to be academically. I spoke to them about repeating her but was told it is not current policy. They would rather give her additional support.

I would rather have given her another year at pre-school.
    This is my ds to a tee though his birthday is middle of april. I am having battles with his year one teacher about trying to get him extra help but all she did in the meeting we had was tell me everything that was wrong with my son accademically and socially and basically told me I needed to work with him at home but he didnt need any extra help at school WTF I got a really bad vibe and wishing that he was still back with his prep teacher for one more year like we had asked. This teacher knew nothing about any of his problems that ye had in prep which I thought was weird because shouldnt she be looking at his file for guidence? I am now going over her head to see what can he done

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having this dilemma at the moment. DD will be 5 next March so we could send her to school or wait until the year after. DH is adamant that we should hold her back a year but I'm not sure, it's such a hard decision.