+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thoughts and experiences at any of the Perth private maternity hospitals

Hi all,
    I am new to Perth and getting some ideas of private hospitals in Perth. I am keen to her about any experiences with at John of god Murdoch/subiaco, and mercy in mt lawley or any other southern private hospitals to give birth at. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave birth to both of mine at Mercy. It's great, queen beds so hubby can sleep with you and help share the newborn load. Baby gets put straight in with you unless you are exhausted. The midwives are fabulous too.
    I had friends deliver at SJOG Subi and they loved it. Single bed, but have a pull out sofa bed for Dad if wanted. But to me it still had too much of that hospital feel. Whereas Mercy was a hospital disguised as a hotel room, often with a nice view of the river if you can get on the right side (the midwives tend to put you in a nicer room if available).
    I also didn't feel rushed to leave. I was in for over a week with my daughter, as she was jaundiced, it was a traumatic delivery and then she had to be placed in a brace for clicky hips. They wanted to make sure we were ready and happy with feeding, holding etc once she was in the brace. Then with my son they understood that I wanted to leave on day 4, and once he was checked over they let us go. I felt very welcomed there which is positive during that important time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my first at sjog subi and loved it. I had a c section so had a single bed for first 2 nights with my husband in a fold out bed in my room. We were then moved to a double bed for the next 4 nights which was great.

I am a few weeks away from my second c section at sjog subi and when I went for my pre admission interview they advised me there has been a change of policy, they no longer supply any baby clothes. I have to take baby clothes to theatre for the c section and I have to take all baby clothes home with me to wash.

Not happy about having extra washing to do whilst recovering from a c section

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recommend Mercy. The rooms are nice as PP said, like hotel rooms. They are doing maintenance to the outside at the moment so it looks like a building site rather than a hospital! We have never had trouble with parking. I can't fault them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. I might look at doing a tour at both hospitals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've given birth at 2 private hospitals in Melbourne and SJOG perth. I didn't like SJOG. I found the rooms had lots of cold and hot spots in them eg there was a huge air con vent above the area where I was supposed to bath and change my baby. I didn't bath him there and changed him on the bed. I also hated that every power point in the room had a red light above it. Seriously in my sleep deprived state I honestly thought I was in an East German night club at night. It was insane how many there were.

I also wasn't a fan of the nursing care I received, but that may have been because it was my 3rd baby and they basically left me alone as they had a few mothers who buzzed every 15 minutes.

If you go there take a torch and your own pillow. At night when the nurses came in to do observations they'd turn a dim light on but even that was too bright. At the hospital I was at 2nd time in Melbourne they had these really cool pin lights that came out of the wall so they didn't disturb the baby.

I checked out after 2 days even though I'd had a Caesarian. I had to get out of there.

I know nothing about mercy. I have to give birth to this next baby back at SJOG and tbh it's the one thing I'm not looking forward to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my son at SJOG, Subi. I loved my ob and he was the reason I chose that hospital, I was not fond of the midwives there, however.

I am looking into having my next bub at the birthing unit at King Edwards, as I do not want a repeat performance of SJOG.