+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breast Pads - Making your own?

Whilst I know it is probably a simple answer, and there are patterns all over google for them, I would love to know who has made their own breast pads and what YOU found works material/stuffing wise.

So not going to pay for them when I know they would be very simple to make. I just have decision paralysis around materials so need some help.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I made my own, they were far from glamorous but did the job well. I just used two layers of an old towel then one layer of flannelette (an old pajama top) to go against the skin. For me these were great and I leaked quite badly.

Like you I just couldn't justify spending money on something like this! I'm still using them at 7 months pp as I still leak a bit when she feeds. I just pop one in the side she's not feeding from before she hops on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

gonnabeaGR8mum  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and as far as a "pattern" - I simply cut squares of the three layers then zig-zagged a circle and trimmed the edges.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, me again, just remembered I did make a few pairs with a PUL layer to stop soaking through - but then I read it's not good to have a non-breathable fabric near the nipple, can increase chances of thrush etc. Also I preferred to just change them really frequently in the early days so they never got the chance to get wet enough to leak.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh cool thanks, will use old towel and some of DS's old pjs. Would rather not go and buy material for it!

Perfect. I knew someone would have a good idea for homemade.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to upforroundtwo For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could pretty much just cut a circle and hem the edge (maybe a little shaping to create a roundness, rather than totally flat?). I bought bamboo ones. They were only about $6 for a set of 3. Really soft and nice to wear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I actually came across this website this morning with instructions for making contoured ones which sit more smoothly under clothes: http://diymaternity.com/accessories/...-free-pattern/

Thanks
    Reviews
    I made my own out of some excess baby wraps, out of the pattern linked above. I found them much more comfortable than disposable ones, and they washed up and lasted months.