+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Is it possible to fly to London with a 2 year old - tips?

I am thinking about going to England this coming Xmas so we can see my oldest son, the thing is DD will be nearly 2 - casting my mind back to when the boys were 2.....I think I might be cray cray to even attempt it.

The alternative is I send my son a ticket home for xmas.

Has anybody flow that far with a toddler and would you do it again?

I've been googling toddlers on flight um and the results were frightening lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How many hours is the flight?

I don't blame you for being aprehensive!

We flew DS to Fiji when he was 18 m.o. We thought it would be a living nightmare because he is one of those ridiculously overactive children, but he was actually pretty good. But that was a little over 4 hours - London is much longer.

Is your DD fairly easy to keep entertained? I think it depends on the child as to how they would cope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's about 22 hours with the layover in Singapore - Singapore to London being the worst of it.

DD is okish but she is currently only 13 months so not sure how her personality will have developed between now and then - side note I will be taking her brothers, they are 16 and 19 so 3 pairs of hands.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi
    My husband and I flew from Perth to London in June last year with my daughter who was 2 years and 2 months at the time. We flew from Perth to Singapore in the afternoon which is about a 5 hour flight and then had a 2 hour stopover in Singapore.
    We then had a 12 hour flight to London which left at around midnight.

She did not sleep at all on the first flight and we kept her amused with snacks and an I pad.

On the second flight she was awake for the first few hours but then we put her in her sleeping bag and laid her down on her seat and she slept for around 8 hours.

We were tired when we got to London but all things considered, it went very well and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We will be flying from Perth too.

How did she go when you got to London with the time differences? How long did you go and how was she on the flight home and settling back in to home?

It does actually sound doable if we had the same flights as you

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got to our apartment in London at around lunchtime and we all had an afternoon nap. Then it was back to normal routine.
    We would head out in the morning each day for sightseeing and she would either fall asleep in the stroller or we would go back to the apartment for afternoon nap.
    We then spent a week in Spain and a week in Paris.
    The trip home was Paris to Singapore to Perth. We left Paris in the morning so she didn't sleep as much on that flight but she did sleep again on the last bit. If I did it again I would try and get a night flight home as she seemed to get more sleep on the night flight.

When we arrived at heathrow there were huge lines at immigration but we were ushered straight to the front of the line. Brilliant.

We had a private car ordered to take us to our accommodation, which had a car seat, the only problem was our flight arrived about an hour early so we had to wait and we were very tired by that stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for the tips!
    Did you have a travel agent organise your itinerary or did you attempt to organise it all yourself ?

I would want decent apartment style accommodation as well, nice and warm in a good location, but would need to think about what we would want to see and do

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a travel agent organise our flights but we did the rest ourselves eg accommodation.

We had 2 bedroom apartments in London and Spain which was great because daughter had her own room. We left it a bit late booking an apartment in Paris so we had a one bedroom apartment. Daughter had the bedroom and we slept on foldout in lounge room which was fine. Each apartment had a porta cot.

It's great having a kitchen to prepare breakfast and snacks and also a washing machine. Much better than a hotel

When travelling, I am happy as long as daughter has separate room to us. I don't enjoy holidays as much when she is in the same room and you have to try and be quiet when she is sleeping.

At one stage we considered driving from Spain to Paris but we didn't. I regret this decision (we travelled by plane). It would have been great to drive through some small towns and experience life outside the big cities.

My advice would be to get out and do as much as possible because toddlers can be great travelling companions, and although you can't do everything ( nightclubs etc) there is so much you can do

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sold!

Thank you so much for your input, I'm going to get Googling this evening and make this happen!

I love the idea of a white Xmas