+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 62 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 613
  1. #291
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    Father, it is a very legitimate question to find out what qualifications you have, so we can understand how robust your research methods are and how much weight we should give them.
    You can determine how robust my research is by countering my argument with facts. I don't expect you to blindly trust what I say. A good scientist wouldn't do that, regardless of the qualifications of the individual making a claim. A good scientist would be skeptical.
    So I am not asking you to give my statements any particular weight. But, they will remain my statements until you, or anyone, can prove otherwise. That is how science works. It doesn't work through appeals to authority or claims of a 'consensus'.

    My statements:
    - There is has been no statistically significant warming for at least 16 years.
    - The Earth is warming at well below the predicted rate.

    Are these statements wrong?

  2. #292
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    DJ Nette.

    To answer to your 3 questions.
    - None. I don't think I have to understand the science behind global warming. I think you are getting cause and effect confused.
    - The money saved by waiting can be used an adaption.
    - The money saved by waiting can be used for adaption.
    None. Interesting. Sorta points towards you having zero qualifications in this field.

  3. #293
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    ...and there is just no way you are going to take on board science or fact.

    After all, you just can't argue with.....
    I will always take on board any scientific or factual information. I will, however, ignore ad hom attacks. Not sure why you have to resort to name-calling, even though I have no idea what name it was you were trying to call me. I do not see how those sort of comments are in any way productive in an adult discussion.

  4. #294
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    None. Interesting. Sorta points towards you having zero qualifications in this field.
    You can believe that if that helps you sleep at night Atropos.
    I do not see how me carrying out an environmental impact assessment or management plan is in any way relevant to the understanding of the science behind global warming.
    Would you care to enlighten me?

    ETA: Were my statements wrong Atropos? Or is your only interest in climate change that of determining the qualifications of anyone who says anything?
    Last edited by Father; 07-04-2013 at 22:27.

  5. #295
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,456
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    2,095
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    You can determine how robust my research is by countering my argument with facts. I don't expect you to blindly trust what I say. A good scientist wouldn't do that, regardless of the qualifications of the individual making a claim. A good scientist would be skeptical.
    So I am not asking you to give my statements any particular weight. But, they will remain my statements until you, or anyone, can prove otherwise. That is how science works.
    I don't really think you understand how science works at all nor do you really know what makes a good scientist.

    "Research" is a loose term in this case.

  6. #296
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I don't really think you understand how science works at all nor do you really know what makes a good scientist.

    "Research" is a loose term in this case.
    Thankyou for your baseless opinion. You are free to think whatever you like.

    ETA: Are my statements wrong Clementine Grace?

  7. #297
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,456
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    2,095
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If thinking that climate change is a "great green con" made up by scientists to fool everyone, helps you sleep at night, then power to you.

  8. #298
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,456
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    2,095
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Thankyou for your baseless opinion. You are free to think whatever you like.

    ETA: Are my statements wrong Clementine Grace?
    They are so correct that I think you really should consider seeing if Tim Flannery will take you on as his advisor, so you can tell him what's really going on.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (07-04-2013),BigRedV  (08-04-2013)

  10. #299
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    You can believe that if that helps you sleep at night Atropos.
    I do not see how me carrying out an environmental impact assessment or management plan is in any way relevant to the understanding of the science behind global warming.
    Would you care to enlighten me?

    ETA: Were my statements wrong Atropos? Or is your only interest in climate change that of determining the qualifications of anyone who says anything?
    Why won't you just answer the question? More than one person has explained our interest in your qualifications. I think it's pretty clear you don't have any. There's no shame in that. I don't have any in this area either. Which is why I listen to people with much more expertise than I have and form opinions that way. And my opinions are not set in stone. I've learned a lot from others in this thread who have been forthcoming with what they do and how they know certain facts. You, in the other hand, have made lots of statements, and glossed over other information. You've disregarded or ignored lots of information that doesn't suit your argument and I can't help but wonder what your aim is? I'm sure you know this, but you come off as very condescending too, which, as I mentioned to Steve the Anti-Fluoride guy, is no way to win people to your "side". You don't seem to want to share knowledge so much as to bash people over the head with information, whether it be right or wrong, in an attempt to make them seem foolish. Which seems odd since there are several posters with qualifications in this field posting- and it seems you aren't one of them, but instead are happy to tell them they're wrong.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (08-04-2013),Clementine Grace  (07-04-2013)

  12. #300
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    They are so correct that I think you really should consider seeing if Tim Flannery will take you on as his advisor, so you can tell him what's really going on.
    Are you agreeing that they are correct? A simple yes or no would suffice.
    I would not want to work for Mr. Flannery.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Vanuatu - Great or not so great?
    By Clarabelle in forum Destination Suggestions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29-10-2012, 10:56
  2. Green poop
    By Alphabetsoup in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24-05-2012, 20:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Obstetrician, Gynaecologist, IVF Specialist
Dr Terry Sheahan - Brisbane Obstetrician, Gynaecologist, IVF Specialist
Dr Terry Sheahan is a highly respected Obstetrician, Gynaecologist and IVF Specialist on Brisbane's Northside. To book an appointment or for information about his Affordable Low-Gaps Obstetrics please call his rooms on (07) 3353 3100
featured supporter
Life Fertility
Life Fertility Clinic is a boutique fertility clinic located in Spring Hill, Brisbane. Our dedicated fertility and IVF specialists offer professional, holistic, personalised options for the treatment of each patient’s specific needs.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!