+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 62 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Come on. You need to try harder. I watched Skyfall, and a half of football.

I think the gap between season 2 and 3 was too long. I had forgotten who was who in Game of Thrones.
    I'm only on the second episode of season 2. I keep pausing and rewinding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    You did all that but couldn't ind time to post your occupation or credentials?
    I'd be very interested.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Are animals not effected by the climate?? Hmmmm....

I'm fairly certain the bilby is one.
    From what I've read -the bilby is endangered moreso because of the introduction of foxes and rabbits and destruction of their habitat - all man made dangers, but not climate attributable

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know anyone who works with endangered species. That is why I would like to more.
    I do however, have ties to more climate related fields.
    For the love of Pete! Explain your ties and extensive knowledge!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (06-04-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    So as an aside (because I can't be bothered going onto any other threads at the moment) is GOT really worth it.

I haven't started, but it's been touted as must see and totally engrossing. I was contemplating getting it from a library

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have never said that climate change isn't real. No one ever has.
    Well what are you saying?

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Polar bears are one example.

From the polarbearsinternational.org website:

At the March 2009 range states meeting of the five polar bear nations, scientists agreed that climate change is the single biggest threat facing polar bears.

The Arctic is experiencing the warmest air temperatures in four centuries, and sea ice losses in the summer of 2012 broke all previous records. The Arctic has experienced warm periods before, but the present, rapid shrinking of sea ice is unprecedented. It has been linked to a build-up of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere caused by human activity. Scientists predict a mostly ice-free Arctic summer by 2040 unless we take action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Effect on polar bears. Polar bears rely on the sea ice to hunt, breed, and, in some cases, den. Changes in their distribution or numbers affect the entire arctic ecosystem.

Scientists emphasize that we still have time to save polar bears if we significantly reduce greenhouse emissions within the next few years. Yet it will take 30 to 40 years for changes reversing the warming trend to show.

- There's some evidence that polar bears are leaving the sea ice to den on land even in winter. In Russia, many bears have been stranded on land by long summers that prevent the advance of the permanent ice pack.
    - In the Western Hudson Bay area where permafrost has declined, denning areas are vulnerable to forest fires in the summer. Warm spring weather leads to increased rainfall causing dens to collapse.
    - Without ice, polar bears are unable to reach their prey. Shorter hunting seasons correlate directly with a 22% drop in the population of Western Hudson Bay near Churchill in Manitoba, Canada since the early 1980s. There has also been a steep drop in cub survival rates.
    - A Southern Beaufort Sea population study shows a drop in cub survival rates, as well as declines in the weight and skull size of adult males, when compared with data from 20 years ago. Similar declines were observed in the Western Hudson Bay population before it dropped.

Polar bears are finding too much open water. In 2004, four polar bears drowned off the coast of Alaska when trying to swim to the pack ice.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (06-04-2013),Kirst33  (06-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    So as an aside (because I can't be bothered going onto any other threads at the moment) is GOT really worth it.
    It was pretty good. Not as good as Spartacus though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't know anyone who works with endangered species. That is why I would like to more.
    I do however, have ties to more climate related fields.
    Do you know the channel 7 weather man?

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pregnor For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (06-04-2013),misskittyfantastico  (06-04-2013)