+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Any facts in your post? I didn't see any.
    If I watch the landscape 'change' with my own eyes, will that count? Or does it need to be from someone who has the same opinion as you?

So the article from the UK is about securing votes in the Australian election?
    Do you actually know anything about the environment? Or do you just sit behind a computer and look at websites.

I've worked in the field for 10 years, my opinion is based on what i have seen change over time. I've also spent countless hours with people who work on river systems, marine environments and island populations and have listened to their expertise on how the environment in Australian is changing with the shift in weather patterns and the change in temperatures.

Yup , if it is a newspaper with Australian readership.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (18-03-2013),Busy-Bee  (18-03-2013),RobinSparkles  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any facts in your post? I didn't see any.
    If I watch the landscape 'change' with my own eyes, will that count? Or does it need to be from someone who has the same opinion as you?

So the article from the UK is about securing votes in the Australian election?
    I don't need to and won't quote facts. I'm very comfortable with my information sources having met regularly with the most well regarded and top independent scientists and natural resource biologists in the country.

By the way, the real people in the field don't discuss opinions, they discuss trends, raw data, and mathematical modelling with experts in their individual fields.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (18-03-2013),lambjam  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Give me a break. Wherever your facts come from, I believe it's naive to think our wasteful lifestyles are doing nothing to the planet. No matter where you are getting your stats, what is the harm in trying to change the course now and live a more green and conscious lifestyle? I'd rather follow Al Gore than the Daily Mail.
    I did not say we were doing 'nothing to the planet'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Do you actually know anything about the environment? Or do you just sit behind a computer and look at websites.

I've worked in the field for 10 years, my opinion is based on what i have seen change over time. I've also spent countless hours with people who work on river systems, marine environments and island populations and have listened to their expertise on how the environment in Australian is changing with the shift in weather patterns and the change in temperatures.
    Yes. No.
    What shift in weather patterns are you referring?
    What change in temperatures are you referring?

Thanks
    Reviews
    By the way, the real people in the field don't discuss opinions, they discuss trends, raw data, and mathematical modelling with experts in their individual fields.
    I wish that was the case. I would love it they discussed more observational data rather than forecasts from models.

Would you like to tell me what the global temperature trend has been over the last 16 years?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No you haven't, but your subject heading and some of the comments I read insinuate you don't believe in global warming. To be honest I can't be bothered reading all your posts or getting into a debate about 'facts.' For me it's enough to read what I have read and believe that it's naive to think global warming isn't occurring with all the waste and pollution people spew out. I'm fairly over the debate whether it is happening or not because what is the harm in doing what you can to be more green? If there's even a remote possibility it is happening then why not try to be more green?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (06-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish that was the case. I would love it they discussed more observational data rather than forecasts from models.

Would you like to tell me what the global temperature trend has been over the last 16 years?
    Um have you ever been in a high level discussion? Modelling is almost always supplementary.

I'll bet you'd love to tell me what it is, so you can show off some "facts"

It's not really worth my while engaging in a discussion with you on this topic as you probably don't have any real experience in the field and i don't have the energy. I was just answering your original post, which was quoting a media article and then referring to our government throwing away money. Scientists don't quote newspapers to get their point across.

Good luck with the discussion though, perhaps some others will participate with you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    No you haven't, but your subject heading and some of the comments I read insinuate you don't believe in global warming. To be honest I can't be bothered reading all your posts or getting into a debate about 'facts.' For me it's enough to read what I have read and believe that it's naive to think global warming isn't occurring with all the waste and pollution people spew out. I'm fairly over the debate whether it is happening or not because what is the harm in doing what you can to be more green? If there's even a remote possibility it is happening then why not try to be more green?
    The globe has warmed since the little ice age in the 1700's. No one will disagree with that. So yes, there is global warming. Just as there is global cooling at times.

You can't be bothered about 'facts'??? That says alot.

What harm is there? - Economic harm.

Why not be more green? - What gain are you expecting from the pain? How many trillions of dollars are you happy to spend to change the temperature by 0.0007 degrees Celsius?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Um have you ever been in a high level discussion? Modelling is almost always supplementary.

I'll bet you'd love to tell me what it is, so you can show off some "facts"

It's not really worth my while engaging in a discussion with you on this topic as you probably don't have any real experience in the field and i don't have the energy. I was just answering your original post, which was quoting a media article and then referring to our government throwing away money. Scientists don't quote newspapers to get their point across.

Good luck with the discussion though, perhaps some others will participate with you.
    Thanks for the input. It says something about the topic. When one wants to discuss facts, the other runs away. It only seems to happen in one direction though

Thanks for your limited input.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I meant I can't be bothered with your 'facts' and am happy with where I get my information, as you seem to be happy where you get yours. What do I hope to gain? A world with polar bears and penguins in the future. I'm happy for my tax dollars and money I donate to go towards the environment and I'm happy to do what I need to do in day to day life. Take care.