+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarity View Post
    I thought powerade was also a no no during pregnancy?
    I was recommended to drink it by the ambos and medical staff when I fainted in my last pregnancy !

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwant2beamummy View Post
    Isn't a mocha just coffee with chocolate in it..?
    Yeah. I had one if I didn't have a coke. I can't drink anything with coffee in it any more as it gives DS wind...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I just found in the big pregnancy book that my midwife gave me :
    "Some soft drinks contain guarana, a stimulant that's similar to caffeine. It's not known what the effects of guarana are in pregnancy"

(I tried taking a pic but the app won't let me upload it)

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a Red Bull / V addict. I drank a can with breakfast every morning for around 5 years...followed by a can of coke or pepsi at lunch. Always the 'sugar free' versions. This is a relatively small amount compared to some people.

Basically the chemicals in these drinks stripped the lining of my stomach to the point where I had an intolerance or sensitivity to most foods...I'm talking a 3 page long list of foods from my Dr (including milk, red meat, wheat, gluten, most fruits, etc) . This meant that I was not able to digest foods properly, or obtain sufficient nutrients from foods.

What this resulted in was my kidneys backing up and not functioning properly, which in turn affected my pituatary gland and thyroid gland. This led to constant exhaustion, irritability, headaches, nausea, mood swings, and weight gain...I put on 13kgs in 2-3 years, and I'm only 5'2". (This is despite an other exemplary diet). I also was low in calcium, iron and a few other vital nurtients, basically on the point of being malnourished.

The preservative 211 used in sugar free foods and drinks is actually banned in numerous countries, as it has been found to cause serious disaese and damage to the mitochondrial DNA (ie. birth defects and auto immune disease).

I finally gave up Red Bull / V when we started TTC. It took about 2 months to wean off it. This meant several weeks of getting the shakes every morning, miagraines, and nausea.

Still, there was so much damage to my body that when I did get pregnant, I had a missed miscarriage. Basically I was told that while the embryo was healthy, my body just couldn't nourish it, so it stopped progressing. I was devestated. It took months to repair my body further, but I am now 22 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby (so far, fingers crossed!).

With such a compartively light intake of energy drinks, I just can't believe the damage it did to my body! And I shudder to think the damage it would do to a developing baby.

Also, given that it increases the heart rate in an adult, imagine what that would be doing to the baby's still developing little heart...

**** Please be aware to all those who have said they still drink red Bull / V / Coke, etc. there is no judgement at all here from me! If I hadn't had the experience I did, I would probably still have the occasional one while pregnant now. This is all just based my own personal experiences and I don't want to offend anyone or make them feel guilty. ****

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (10-04-2013),Rarity  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that's crazy sam4frankie, I didn't know that could happen. So it was just the sugar free ones or can the normal ones do that too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    From what the Drs were saying it can be the normal ones too, even just coke and pepsi can damage your stomach lining...but the sugar free ones were worse as they add more chemicals to make them taste better...

It was totally crazy, I couldn't believe a soft drink could end up doing all that!

But apart from drinking energy drinks I followed a pretty much whole foods, unprocessed, organic, free range diet (I know, quite the contradiction!), and had no other health issues at all, and no family history of any issues.

I just think they haven't been around long enough for anyone to really tell the long-term effects. I think I was pretty unlucky really, I know lots of people who drink far more than I did, and seemingly have no issues. But just something for people to be cautious of!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

Rarity  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that's scary and horrible for you!
    I used to be addicted to coke and everyone tells me to at least get the diet/sugar free stuff but I always refused because it 1) tastes feral and 2) I had heard it caused more problems but I had never heard of it doing what it did to you. That's so crummy

Sent from my talky stick