+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Redbull and pregnancies

I was a huge redbull drinker pre pregnancy with my last two pregnancies always stopping once I was/found out I was pregnant.

I have a friend who has drunk them all through two of her pregnancies..

Aside from the high caffeine I'm not really sure why else one would not drink it during pregnancy.
    I was going to try point out to my friend about how drinking redbull during pregnancy isn't recommended but with only the fact it's high caffeine to run from I thought I don't really have a case to put forward to her..

What effects on baby could it have?
    Is there any proven cases of it being harmful during pregnancy that I could show her?

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I looked it up, apparently a 250ml can of red bull has about as much caffeine as an espresso or something (off top of my head can't remember but you get the jist). The warnings on the cans are only for the caffeine content so I assume it's to cover the company's bum if someone drinks it in pregnancy and has something go wrong they can't blame the company.

Having said all that, I still drink my coffee but I have dropped my cans of V (which were my vice pre preg).

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have some what dropped red bull for coke, which after reading what you wrote doesn't seem much better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol no I've dropped coke for Powerade (which actually is more replacing my V lol). I think it's recommended no more than 3 350ml cokes a day maximum.

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh also id say the thing about energy drinks is prob because they have such an effect on our bodies so imagine it on bubs. When I have my morning coffee bub goes insane so I assume with the taurine and the other ingredient would make her even more hyper.

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd like to know too! I have a v every second to third day and I'd love to not have to stop...I've looked up the caffeine content before and it's only equivalent to a cup of regular coffee. I also drink sugarfree (which I know many people believe is more problematic in other ways than pure sugar ) it was my understanding that the taurine/guarana is an alternative form of caffeine. I quickly googled taurine and it seems I'm wrong for that (still pretty sure guarana is though) and what I read on taurine was positive in terms of what it does for your body...

Can anyone else explain why these are no no's on occasion if you don't have any other caffeine in your diet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Taurine and guarana isn't good for bubs development I don't think. I dropped my red bull for coke, which has a lot less caffeine than coffee. I drank only 600ml every second day and no coffee, but a mocha on the days I didn't have coke

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would imagine anything that says "Not recommended in pregnancy" is probably not recommended for a reason.
    It might just be that the ingredients haven't been tested adequately in pregnant women but personally the lack of a study saying 'this is bad' or 'this is good' isn't instigation enough to risk it.

Apparently the average can has 80mg of caffeine in it which is about the same as a cup of coffee but add to that the amount of sugar in it and a poor bub's heartrate is likely to sky rocket.
    So I guess it's one of those your choice to take the risk kinda things. I wouldn't drink it personally, but then there's a lot of things like eating the occasional soft serve ice cream that I will risk that others won't.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Cazza1981  (18-03-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (17-03-2013),MrsOhara  (18-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (17-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    I would imagine anything that says "Not recommended in pregnancy" is probably not recommended for a reason.
    It might just be that the ingredients haven't been tested adequately in pregnant women but personally the lack of a study saying 'this is bad' or 'this is good' isn't instigation enough to risk it.

Apparently the average can has 80mg of caffeine in it which is about the same as a cup of coffee but add to that the amount of sugar in it and a poor bub's heartrate is likely to sky rocket.
    So I guess it's one of those your choice to take the risk kinda things. I wouldn't drink it personally, but then there's a lot of things like eating the occasional soft serve ice cream that I will risk that others won't.
    Definitely agree, being a drinker of it myself pre preg, its just something I don't want to risk whilst pregnant.

However I would think to try educate my friend who's drinking it I'd need a bit more then he said she said (which can easily be misconstrued as a personal attack) I suppose your right though the lack of studies in pregnant woman should in theory show that, that is risk enough...

Was hoping for something documented!
    Just hope she won't end up being the first to be documented on the effects of it on her own baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I am a red bull addict and I have never drunk a drop whilst pregnant... however have DH under strict instructions to bring me one of the big cans straight after bub is born lol.

I drink the occassional diet coke or pepsi max (cant stand the taste of normal coke and pepsi) but try to stay away from caffeine most of the time.