+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When did you introduce a pillow/move to toddler bed?

DS is currently 16 months and still happily sleeps in his cot without a pillow.

A few friends with bubs of similar age are using pillows and now moving to toddler beds.

It's just got me thinking about when I should think about doing this for DS...

My plan had been to keep him in cot for as long as he doesn't climb out of it or until its needed for a future baby.

Pillows I hadn't really thought about at all....

What did you do and would you do it that way again?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Two of our kids moved to a bed with an almost full length rail when they were 18/19months. There was a pillow and sheets etc. but they didn't stay in the same place until around 2.5 - 3 years. Used sleep suits with feet and layers until they stayed under the blankets.

Edit: Had rule that only mum or day got them out of bed. Had a few goes at just a reminder of this before getting disciplined. Has worked well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (17-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is still in cot but he uses a cot pillow now. He's 21 months and jes been using pillow since 17 months.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamscapezd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD is 2.5 and still sleeps in her cot. It's one that converts to a bed when you take the sides off, so it's pretty big. She's never tried to climb out.

She doesn't have a pillow or sheets, as she throws them out if I try to give them to her. So she just has a fitted sheet.

I'm planning on moving her to a bed soon, as I'm moving her to a new bedroom and want to free up her room (and cot) for the next baby, which is due in June!

If it weren't for that then I'd probably leave her in her cot for as long as she's happy. I kind of think that, when it comes to sleep, don't mess with what works!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    my DD2 is 2.5 y/o and still in the cot. I'm of the same view as GirlX, dont mess with what works. She tells me about 6.30pm most nights "I want to brush my teeth and go to bed", and she sleeps until about 7/7.30. She wears a sleeping bag so at this stage she is not trying to climb out, so I'm happy to keep her in the cot as long as possible.

I havent given her a pillow but she has a Hootabelle cushion that she seems to be using as a pillow so perhaps its time I got one for her.

DD1 went into a bed when she was 2 because I needed the cot for her sister. She was given a pillow when she went into a bed. If we had another child due then I would have done the same thing with DD2, however because we dont then DD2 will remain in the cot.

I would stick with your original plan if he is happy in the cot.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    DSD moved to a big bed when she was 1 yr 3 months. This was because we moved and her BM wanted the cot for her 2nd child. She has had a pillow and blankets since then. She never used any of it till she was about 2.5. I agree with everyone else. Do what works for you and your lo. Don't force them to grow up too quickly!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to smidget3004 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys!

Yes I think I will leave him as he is until he starts climbing or I need the cot for another baby.

I have heard so many stories of people moving to beds and their toddlers constantly getting out.

He is currently in a cot that converts to a bed so still has loads of space and he's in a sleeping bag so hasn't been climbing yet...fingers crossed it stays that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is almost 2yr and still in a cot he has climbed out once so we converted it to a toddler bed but he was so freaked out by the change that he cried for 2 hours and then slept on the chair in his room instead so we changed it back and he hasn't climbed out since! He will stay in the cot until he asks to move into his big boy bed which is set up waiting for him. He had a pillow but didn't use it so we put it away again lol he's not a big one for change he hates it so I figure when he's ready it will be an easier transition

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashley595 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son will be 3 at the end of April. I don't really recall when we gave him a pillow (he was over 2yo), but it was when he asked for one (think he liked having one on the couch). He is tall for his age.

He had his first sleep in a single bed today and has never climbed out of his cot previously. We've left his cot in his room in case he wants to sleep in that instead of the bed, until such time as he's happy in the bed consistently. After he woke today, I found him sitting on his potty in his room playing with toys in his toybox, perfectly happy. I've thought about getting him one of those coloured clocks that changes colour at a time you set to let them know it's ok to get up in the morning. My main concern is that he will start leaving his room and coming to ours before wake up time, but I'm sure we'll teach him to stay put in his room. He is used to sleeping in a hammock type of bed at childcare.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tap For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (19-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Moved into toddler bed at 18 months and started using pillow at the same time, then went into a king single at 2 years, she loves spreading out!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (19-03-2013)