+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Huge mosquito bites

My 2 year old has had a couple of mosquito bites. They have come up huge and they go into a sore and starting to weep.
    I got that stop itch spray but she stills scratches them.
    I tried antiseptic cream with a bandaid and she rips it off.

Any ideas what I can do???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Random, but if you have it, try dabbing a little bit of Gaviscon on it :-) the mint oil in it cools it down a little

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to get my dd (2.9 years) an antihistamine and a cream from the chemist for mosquito bites.

Soov bite cream and Zyrtec sugar free liquid for kids.

Hers are huge, she woke up with bites on her hands and face this morning. Her hands were swollen to about twice their normal size. This combo fixes her up.

Hth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like an allergy. Try an antihistamine. My dd2 gets this too. It sucks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi onelasttime...my bubba gets them a lot when we go to the park...paw paw ointments work wonders for the mild ones, but if it is the ones you described, they are mofo itchy as well get the DermAid 0.5% it will stop the itch and bubba will feel better within minutes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sound odd but metho is great for mozzie bites it is for me the only thing that goives me relief in the night to sleep. I just soak a cotton ball in metho and hold on the bite for 20-30 seconds works well. Takes down the swelling and relieves the itch. The earlier after being bitten the better it works.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kirstyandmick For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (17-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok some remedies to try. It's an open sore now so not sure what to do. I will go to the chemist first thing in the morning.
    I think I need something to use to put straight on the bite when it happens. The anti itch spray isn't working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS reacts really badly to mozzie bites too. We were OS when he got one on his neck and the next day half his face was swollen up. Looked like he'd been knocked about. Doctor ended up giving him an antihistamine injection.
    Next time we will get straight into oral antihistamines and see if we can avoid the jab.

If not swollen now, try to just keep it clean and relatively dry.
    We find vinegar stops the itch for us, but we have a tube if cream in bags in case of bites while out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 is the same - mild allergic reaction. GP told us to keep an antihistamine in the house and prescribed a cream. We also give her a Pinetarsol bath, best stuff ever! Sometimes we'll put a band aid on too (cos they fix everything)! And if she goes outside to play at dusk, I try and remember some aero guard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Prevention is key unfortunately. We've tried nearly everything else and nothing much works! My ds reacts badly to mozzies - one morning he woke up with one ear twice the size of the other. Thankfully he thought it was all a big joke & wasn't at all self conscious (he was 4 at the time). We put cortisone cream on his mozzie bites as soon as he notices them but he will still get massive reactions and blistering about 50 - 60% of the time (it's getting less frequent and less severe as he gets older). I definitely put bandaids on them for bedtime as well. They might not last but sometimes they do! Try the bandaid tough strips - they are harder to pull off for little fingers. If it's broken down then I'd be putting salvon (or something similar) on it to stop infection then covering with a bandaid and maybe even a bandage over the top if feasible (just for overnight).

Over summer we went to the beach for 2 weeks and I literally put insect spray on my ds 2 - 3 times a day. I was super viligant, much more so than ever before and it made a massive difference! He still had a few bites, but nothing like he usually gets at the beach.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (17-03-2013)