+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't end up birthing in the tub, but spent much of my active labour in there. By the time I used it, I was no longer comfortable pacing/stomping around which I's been doing previously. It worked great for pain relief, along with music, and bashing my hairbrush on the side of the bath during contractions. Unfortunately I had to get out half-way through pushing to get in an ambulance &go to hospital... But was otherwise quite happy with it.

Just keep in mind that you don't know what will be comfortable for you until you're in labour. I've known people to plan water births and then find they can't stand being in e water when the time comes. S some backup ideas might be handy.

Best of uck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I planned a water birth with my first. I got in the spa at 6cm dilated. I actually found I didn't enjoy the water much as I liked to feel grounded during contractions and water makes you buoyant. I stuck it out though to the pushing phase. Then I struggled to push because I couldn't ground my feet. After ages the midwife suggested I get out to push. I was actually a bit overheated by then so getting out was great. So yeah, I didn't have DS in the water!

Thought I'd try again second time around, but not get in the spa until transition. Best laid plans haha!! The midwife started filling the spa when things started getting intense. My waters broke and DD came out in 3 pushes within 3 minutes. So I didn't make it to the spa...

So there are my experiences. I think go for it, just be mindful not to get in too early or have the water too hot. I hope everything goes well

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had planned a water birth but absolutely hated it. I only stayed in the bath for about an hour and even that was too long. I kept trying to get out but every time I stood up I had another contraction which sent me back into a ball. I wont be trying it again this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We don't have a bath at home... So will just be using the shower at home then using the bath when I get to birth centre. They seem to be very strict about monitoring your body temperature and making sure you don't get too hot. I think they encourage you to get out every hour or so to keep moving as well.

Last night my partner sat down and asked me what I wanted him to do and what our plan was.. But to be honest I didn't really have any idea. Hard to plan when you have no idea what it's going to be like. During my Braxton hicks I found I only felt comfortable sitting on the toilet.. So think that birth stool might be an option if I don't like the water.

I have been getting a lot of lower back pain and pain in the stomach lately and have found the shower great.. So hoping that will be enough to keep me going while I labour at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a water birth with my DS, I was 5cm dialated and just arrived at the hospital. Got in the spa straight away.

Since its been my only experience I have nothing to compare it to but I will hopefully do the same for my next birth. The only thing I found a bit uncomfortable is when I was having contractions I wanted to be still and the water kept making me float so I kept moving and I didn't like that. But apart from that my experience was good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    I had a water birth with my DS, I was 5cm dialated and just arrived at the hospital. Got in the spa straight away.

Since its been my only experience I have nothing to compare it to but I will hopefully do the same for my next birth. The only thing I found a bit uncomfortable is when I was having contractions I wanted to be still and the water kept making me float so I kept moving and I didn't like that. But apart from that my experience was good
    A few mums talking about not liking the floating.. Did they give you knee pads or anything to use to remain still? Midwife has suggested getting some rubber to have in the bath with me so I have some grip if I want to kneel during contractions and stuff.. Did any of you try this at all and did you find that it helped to keep you stable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    A few mums talking about not liking the floating.. Did they give you knee pads or anything to use to remain still? Midwife has suggested getting some rubber to have in the bath with me so I have some grip if I want to kneel during contractions and stuff.. Did any of you try this at all and did you find that it helped to keep you stable?
    I had no knee pads.. But I did read before you go. (and I totally forgot) Stick a bunch of towels under your knees. They help take the pressure off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't remember being bothered by the 'floating'. I did have dh in the bath with me though rubbing my back for awhile (until it got to the point where I screamed at him to leave me alone or else. I don't know what the 'or else' would have been though!). Maybe with having him in with me I didn't notice it enough to be bothered?

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a water birth in a public hospital. They had a big bath in all the birthing rooms. It really helped with pain. I hadn't planned it that way but it was where i felt more comfortable. Only thing, when baby was about to be born I had to be lifted out of the water, midwife explained baby's aren't allowed to be born underwater in Australia. I didn't know if it is only in public hospitals or everywhere, this was 5 yrs ago. I don't remember it that clearly but must have been at least 4 people to lift me, awkward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's weird as I've had two water births in public hospital and baby must be born into the water so you had to keep your bottom half in the water my last birth was 3 months ago.

Water births are fantastic I've had two helped with pain fast labour relaxing. My pushing stage was really short and no tearing with either baby.

Sent from my e1901_v77_cxq_asx using The Bub Hub mobile app