+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Portacot or playpen???

Hi everyone . I am just after some advice from other parents. DH & I are not sure of wthether to buy a portacot or playpen for our DD. She is 5 months old and already rolling all over the room. The reason that we are looking at buying one of the above is for occasions where I need to get things done (ie hang out washing etc) and kniw that she is not getting into something she shouldnt. We have a portacot that somebody has let us borrow but dont want DD to make a mess of it with vomiting etc so are thinking of giving it back. I would live to know what others have done as we are really finding it difficult to make a decision. Have any of you used a portacot as a playpen? Would love the pros and cons of both

Thanks
    Reviews
    If its just for short periods of time I would stick with the portacot. If you are worried about mess you could put a fitted cot sheet over the base.

I've used both and really I would only bother with the playpen if its for longer periods or if you still want to use it when your child is older/bigger. We mainly used ours during a renovation when ds was 12-15 months old. We also used it to put dd in as a newborn to protect her from ds sitting on her or trying to 'helpfully' move her lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go with a portacot too as it's a lot cheaper and has 2 uses. If you're only using it occasionally when doing housework I think it will be fine but as pp said if you were going to use it for longer periods of time a larger play pen might be a better option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd go playpen. That way the portacot is for sleeping if you need it in the future (even if it's only one you hire when you go away). And portacots are tiny, so not much room to do much for an active bubba.

We got a playpen (biggest one we could afford) as we have a big open plan kitchen/lounge/dining room and when we bought it that room was open to the corridor & the laundry, so it was impossible to keep my active ds in one place for more than 2 seconds without it. It was 2.2m square, so we were mostly in there with him & it had plenty of room for toys and all sorts of play.

Our dd is nearly 18 months old and we stopped using the playpen a while ago, but we now have a mesh fence with a gate to section off the lounge area. It's so that she has a safe place to play (and our lounge suite is in there so we're in there most of the time) and mostly so our ds can do Lego without worrying she's going to grab a piece & stick it up her nose. The gate is probably open most of the day now, but when necessary we shut it to make our lives a little simpler for a few minutes (eg. when I'm cooking on the gas stove).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second the playpen. We have a large open plan house, and my son would roll everywhere! There isn't really any way to section my place off, so it meant I could have a shower, or do the dishes, in peace.

I also used to take it outside so dd could play and I could hang out the washing while ds was playing in the pen. We took it to parties for the same reason. Ours is large, and can also be used as a room divider, which is useful when we have parties with heaps of kids.

Portacots are really useful too, we bought one but it is at my parent's house as ds cot. We can just use it when we need it.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd go playpen. Great to keep my youngest safe while I go upstairs or outside. But mainly because it has so many other uses. We kept all the toys in it for a while so we didn't have a huge mess. Our older child can play with his toys they out youngest cant. (Small parts etc). Can go around the Xmas tree at Xmas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We didn't have either as we put in a couple of safety gates but I would go the playpen not the portacot. I have had two bad sleepers and sought help for both and was always told to keep cots/sleeping areas for sleeping so as there is no confusion as to what was to happen. So even thought it's a portacot it may translate to the cot and bubs might think bedtime is playtime. Not all bubs may do this of course but perhaps something to consider.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for the advice. I think we have finally come to our decision. We will get the playpen as it will give her more room and will be handy if I have my friend with a bub over for lunch etc. We have a small dog too who likes to lick, so it will keep her away from the dog when I am out of sight too. Can't believe she is 5 months old already and we are thinking of these things

Thanks
    Reviews
    CJ81, we are planning a playpen and a large one. Trust me even with a large playpen bub will eventually want to get out of it! Our home is not child safe esp with an older child his toys eg small Lego pieces and small cars are every where. S I definitely want to confine bub to one area, but reasonably big when he can roll and crawl everywhere.

A porta cot is very restrictive and DS1 used it before. Can't do much in it!

We also have a dog, large shaggy and in house! So I don't want bub to be eating his fur!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mom2 - the one we are looking at buying is 114cmx114cmx65cm but it is made up of panels and you can buy extra panels if we want to expand it over time. Is that a smart move? Lol. We were thinking of buying a pack of those foam mats as they will be 10cm wider and will keep her off the carpet.