+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 week old screeching - wind or colic??

My DS2 is 3 weeks old and has started to be more fussy, crying and screeching sometimes like he's got bad wind/tummy pains. We follow the dunstan crying method and it always sounds like wind. ("eh, eh").

He's a bit of a chucky baby too, he regularly spits out a whole bunch of milk and sometimes it's a bit of a vomit.

He's been pretty sleepy, he sleeps well at night (3 hours ish) and wakes twice, sometimes 3 times depending when he goes to bed. He sleeps well during the day, and has no problems sleeping flat on his back.

The crying got so bad that I asked at the chemist, and they gave us gripe water. I've given him 2 half doses during the day that seem to calm him down, however still sometimes he's crying and screeching in pain.

He feeds for only 10 minutes and he's done. I block feed him - one side, then burp, then back on to completely drain the breast. If I give him the other side he usually will just pull off and spit it all out. I reckon he stores it up in his cheeks like a chipmunk, lol!

So is this colic? Is it wind? What's the difference? We burp him well, rock him on our knees, on his tummy, and back and forth while sitting up. I've tried feeding him lying back so he's not getting drowned in milk.

Any other suggestions, or possible reasons why he's screeching like this? I hope it isn't my milk thats causing it, but having 3 letdowns in one 10 minute feed seems like he's getting too much..... I've also expressed a bit before he feeds, but then he seems to smoosh his head in my breasts and grab at me with his hands, like he's trying to find more milk.

I'm not sure if we have a problem here.... should I be trying to take him to a doctor or nurse? Does this sound just like normal wind, or is it anything more? He doesn't mind lying down, so I cant assume that its colic.... ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is he pulling his legs up when he cries? I have been told that this is a sign of pain. So therefore wind. Colic does not always mean they are in pain. My DS is 3 weeks old too. I find if he is a bit colicky all he wants is to be held close and it has nothing to do with being in pain. When he has wind, he will kick about and draw his knees up like he's trying to curl in a ball. Also as far as I know, colicky babies don't always have a problem with lying flat. It's bubs with reflux that can't lie flat.

Hope this helps and good luck. It's so upsetting when they cry and you don't know why it's happening

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like it could be reflux. Def take him to the doctor and see what they say. My ds2 had this and was really hard to get help as a lot of doctors wouldn't do anything. He eventually grew out of it but it took awhile.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bumping for more responses hopefully, as my 3wk old is doing the exact same thing for past few days.

He won't settle in the afternoon or evening, screams the house down, pulls his legs up and goes bright red etc I've got a 19mth old too needing attention, so this is becoming quite stressful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Bumping for more responses hopefully, as my 3wk old is doing the exact same thing for past few days.

He won't settle in the afternoon or evening, screams the house down, pulls his legs up and goes bright red etc I've got a 19mth old too needing attention, so this is becoming quite stressful
    The pulling up of the legs is a sign of pain. Afternoon and evening can also be just witching. My son is currently witching as I type. He has been since about 6pm and it's now quarter to 9

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smidget3004 View Post
    The pulling up of the legs is a sign of pain. Afternoon and evening can also be just witching. My son is currently witching as I type. He has been since about 6pm and it's now quarter to 9

Thanks for your response.

Well it's no longer just the afternoon, so can't be the witching hours unfortunately. After his feed at 4am he has still yet to settle properly. The poor thing has to be in pain, he'll fall asleep but 5mins later go bright red and scream with legs in the air.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd was pretty bad with this till after 6 weeks. Infants friend helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with duck duck goose. Infants friend is really good stuff. Or infacol once bub is a month old. Last night my son didn't settle till after 10 so witching hour doesn't always mean an hour...

Another option is some warm water from a bottle. Bub doesn't need to drink much of it. Also if you have a fitball give bub some tummy time rolling the ball underneath him. Or a swing. If bub has wind the rocking motion will bring it to the top of his tummy above the milk and make it easier for him to burp

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried infants friend on my first but I didn't find it helped much for him. With ds2 the chemist have me marina infant drops which worked amazingly for him. It has peppermint oil in it which is very good for upset tummies and wind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I also used infacol when he was really bad too.