+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeling awkward at work due to pregancy

I am 20 weeks pregnant working as a massage therapist. My belly is noticable now but I am finding it awkward to tell my clients I am expecting. Do I just blurt out 'I'm Pregnant' even if I don't know them well or am meeting them for the first time. It feels so unprofessional.

At the moment I have just been telling my regular clients when the conversation makes it relevant. I have yet to have a client ask straight out if I am preganant. If I don't menion anything I feel like it is a bit of a white elephant in the room and this is only going to get worse as a get bigger. I don't want my clients to feel uncomfortable about a preganant women doing there massage.

Any advise or women in similar situations?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't see that you need to tell people, and I personally can't imagine feeling awkward about a massage from a pregnant woman.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why would a client mind a massage from someone pregnant? Is it because your belly might get in the way or touch them when it otherwise wouldn't? If it did I think a lighthearted "oops, sorry, pregnant belly in the way!" would be fine. I don't think there's any need to mention it otherwise, unless it comes up in conversation (you'll probably get offered lots of unwanted advice, lol).

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with everyone else you don't have to tell them if you don't want to.

I feel myself telling people because I feel like if they don't say something they must think I always have a huge tummy (I'm 27 weeks) I am not a small girl but c'mon how fast do they think a person can put on weight in just the tummy region!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ditto to the previous posters. I doubt very much it will bother your clients at all unless it affected how you worked (I can't imagine how or why I would worry if my massage therapist were pg). Is there a workplace health and safety issue (I can't think of one, but I don't know your industry requirements at all). I don't tell my clients anything at work. It's none of their concern, and it really doesn't bother me if they think I'm fat rather than pg lol. My colleagues are starting to figure it out (I'm 18w), but I work with my husband, and we may have let slip accidentally as well..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't worry at all!
    The only time I've ever been concerned by someone who was pregnant was when I was getting a spray tan and the woman doing it was at least 8 months. I was more concerned for her and the bub inhaling fumes from the spray!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got a facial a few week back and the the therapist was 38weeks pregnant. I actually said as we walked in- wow what a gorgeous bump you are sporting.
    Conversation went around her and bubs and her enjoying work etc from then on. I did feel a bit guilty being pampered while she worked but she assured me she loves her job and doesn't want to be at home just waiting for it to happen. She was lovely and I didn't even mind when her preggy belly bumped my arm etc. I have had plenty of non pregnant woman and men who do massage inevitably brush past your arm etc when doing massage or facials, the close proximity makes it almost impossible not to - pregnant or not.

I don't think you need to tell them. Just go about your job, if they ask- well then you can chat etc. it doesn't make any difference really, if you are happy to be working - go for it.