+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Flying with 3 month old - are they sufficiently vaccinated by then?

We're expecting baby #1 in September. DH's family are very keen for us to go to this year's family Xmas party, when the baby would be 3 1/2 months.

To get there, we'd need to fly from Perth to Sydney or Brisbane then drive 6 hours. I'm not concerned about the practicalities of actually travelling with the baby, but being new to all this I'm not sure - will the baby be sufficiently vaccinated after only having had its 2 month immunisations?

I realise that the baby could come into contact with germs when we're out and about around home, but feel like I have some control over where we go and who we see - and if anyone appears sick, I'd be quickly taking the baby well away from them. The difference on a plane is that you're stuck with other people (who may be sick) for 5 hours in a closed environment. (Having both worked FIFO for years, DH and I are pretty familiar with the joys of catching a lurgy on a plane - and are both guilty of having flown when we were coughing up a lung).

Aside from that, is it mad to try and travel with a 3 1/2 month old? I'm thinking logistics in terms of putting baby capsules into hire cars, carrying around portacots and prams, etc. At that age are they likely to be unsettled as a result of travelling and staying in different places, or do they not really care where they sleep?

Part of me thinks it would be a convenient opportunity to see DH's family and my own (in BrisVegas), but is it creating a rod for our own back? Part of me also thinks stuff them - we should stay home and tell them that if they want to see the baby, they know where we live! (I know from previous experience that we're always expected to travel to see them - rarely does anyone visit us).
    Last edited by Gentoo; 15-03-2013 at 13:38.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To be honest, I wouldn't even think twice about travelling within Australia with a baby at 3.5 months. Your local shopping centre or drs waiting room is as much of a risk. Enjoy your trip.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't imagine travelling all over with a 3mth old. We were in and out of the doctor's for the first few months due to various unexpected issues. It eventually all turned out fine, but when you've got a baby screaming for hours at night and you have no idea why, then you're going to try and get some help for them. Being in a foreign city and trying to find a doctor makes it more stressful.

Just the logistics of travelling is difficult. My parents live about 50min away, and even those trips were stressful. Baby just couldn't stay in the car seat that long without starting to cry uncontrollably. I'm talking about that intense cry babies make where they're crying so hard that no sound comes out and they almost forget to breathe (stimulating baby's tongue with your finger usually makes them take a breath though). A few times we had to stop on the side of the road just to calm her down with breast milk. Or at worst my wife would have to lie down on the backseat breastfeeding and hiding from cops just so we could get home.

That's the other thing - breastfeeding. If you're out and baby wants milk, you basically have to drop everything and do it. They'll cry until they get it. So you have to time your outings accordingly, or be prepared for it.

As for vaccinations, it's probably not as huge a problem given the 2mth shots would've been done by then, but I'm not a doctor. One thing you could do is ask your GP if it's safe for baby to have their 4mth shots a little early. Though it would have to be fairly close to the mark. I don't think they like to do them earlier than 2 weeks before the 4mth shots are due.
    Something else to note is GPs recommend that all family members that look after the baby have a whooping cough vaccination. Myself and my wife each got one after our baby was born. It's probably a low risk, but just thought I'd mention it as your GP will probably suggest it.

In the end, I think only you will know whether you can handle the trip after the baby is born, and after you've had a couple months to get into a routine. Your baby may not have a problem with long car rides, etc. You'll figure out baby's routines and quirks, and you should be able to judge whether the trip will work for you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Prizm For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would tell my family to get stuffed, it they want to see me the first Christmas after having a child they can come to me. I couldnt be stuffed travelling with a young baby. Each person is different though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As this is your 1st baby...I would just go with the flow and not make any arrangements untill after birth and see how things are going for you and bub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We flew for DD's first Christmas at that age.

We just had grandparents get a car seat installed and we took our pram with us.

The hum of the plane ended up being very conducive to sleep and it was about the first time she had ever had a decent sleep during the day!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I would go. Travelling with tiny babies is easy. Its when they get older and can move about etc that its harder.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I took DS with me to visit family in New Zealand at 3 month old by myself I wasn't too worried about vaccination issues as they have a similar vax schedule. I would have taken him anywhere within Aus at that age to me it's the same as taking him to a shopping centre

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashley595 For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We took DD overseas for the first time when she as 4mths, and then several times throughout her first year (and since).

I actually found it way easier travelling with her as a small baby than I do now! Little babies sleep on the plane, are very portable (!), and I didn't have any problems with her routine/ sleep.

In most places there are hire companies that will lend you car seats, prams, travel cots, etc., and most of them do airport pick-ups and drop-offs of all the stuff.

I thought it was surprisingly easy the first time we did it. It's got trickier now she's a toddler, but I still love travelling with her. If you want to do it then I would go for it!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We traveled from the US to australia when our baby was 4 weeks old, no problems and she slept most the way. Have fun