+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default any recommendations for a baby carrier/ sling

Hello

I am looking for a sling/baby carrier for my baby that will be one month old when I need to use it.

Soon I will have to start the school run twice a week with my step kids and new born baby which I am nervous about because I am a first time mum (I know all you amazing experieneced mums will wonder what the fuss is about!)

I can't really take the pram because I have to walk up and down a fair few stairs and I don't want to take the car capsule as it is too heavy for the distance I will be walking between the kindy and primary school (once I have parked the car).

I am a bit hesitant with what I have been reading about slings and the safety considering my bub's young age but the fact of the matter is I won't use it for extended periods (and this is MY preference as I know many use slings frequently, it's all about personal choice, so please don't get offended).

I have looked at the Bjorn, ergobaby and a sling style one, the name of which I can't remember.

Ideally I would like one that is not difficult to put on. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got a manduca and love it. I was also recently given a baby bjorn. I find the manduca so much more comfortable to wear for long periods.

The manduca has a few buckles and clips, but once you've adjusted it its really easy yo put on. You can also wear it as a side carry or back carry when baby is a little older. And it has a handy little built in hood thing to cover baby's head when its raining or really sunny.

I like the baby bjorn too. I've mostly been using that at home as I found that after an hour or so it starts to make my shoulders a little achy. Its really easy to use and adjust too.
    Last edited by WineTime; 15-03-2013 at 12:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi acer baby, it's great that you want to wear your newborn! There's a whole world of babywearing out there

If you want some advice from some very experienced baby wearers search on facebook for Baby Wearing Buy Sell Swap and ask any questions there - you can also pick up secondhand carriers etc if you're interested.

When my DD was a newbie I loved carrying her in the hug a bub wrap, I then moved onto an ergo, ring sling and mei tai and have since discovered the wonderful world of woven wraps...you just need to find what works for you.

Happy baby wearing!!

Also as a small note, please steer clear of the bjorn and the like - they're not good for either you or bub.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I were you I'd definitely go into a baby shop and try a couple on. Stay away from the baby bjorn.

I've recently got a Manduca and LOVE it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    A stretchy wrap like a hug a bub might be good. Then you can just put it on before you leave home and slip bub into it when you get there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    I've got a manduca and love it. I was also recently given a baby bjorn. I find the manduca so much more comfortable to wear for long periods.

The manduca has a few buckles and clips, but once you've adjusted it its really easy yo put on. You can also wear it as a side carry or back carry when baby is a little older. And it has a handy little built in hood thing to cover baby's head when its raining or really sunny.

I like the baby bjorn too. I've mostly been using that at home as I found that after an hour or so it starts to make my shoulders a little achy. Its really easy to use and adjust too.
    This, word for word

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the baby bjorn (full back support one) BUT ONLY for birth -3months then I switched to the Ergo for the next 12 months for all my 5 babies and I'd never change a thing. Just perfect and certainly beats pushing a pram about!The Ergo is AWESOME and can also be used from birth..I didn't like the newborn insert so I just used the cushion only and it was fine. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy peasy. I tried slings but they were just a PITA lol
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 15-03-2013 at 13:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a manduca too and love it! Picked it over the ergo as I don't need a newborn insert as an extra cost. It's an all in one.
    More fiddley than an baby bjorn but once you have used it a few times you will be a pro.
    There is minimal difference between an ergo and manduca. They are both great carriers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd get a hugabub/moby (whichever brand, there's a few) jersey cotton "stretchy wrap". They look trickier than they are, but as mentioned previously you can put it on at home and pop baby straight in when you get to school, think you can get them in that fb group mentioned for less than $50. Once baby is 4 months or so I'd get a ring sling (I wish I'd got mine sooner - seriously the most comfy easiest quickest way to do the school run!), mine is a girasol it was $100 odd but I've seen cheaper options on that fb group where you could also sell the wrap when you're done with it. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found the hug a hub fabulous for my newborns, so comfy and bub doesn't move at all, so have 2 hands free. It is fiddly to start with but stick with it cause you get really good at it after a couple of weeks.

I love the ergo for older bubs.