+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do your school children apply sunscreen for school in summer?

My 7yo DS hates doing that now. Hasn't been fantastic since 4 or 5. He would try to wipe it away from both arms. He refuses to have his face applied. Every morning it's me nagging and he talking back re applying sunscreen. We even bought the one he chose, a spray on one.

Do your children have this problem? Do you enforce this? How do you make them apply? Tried all the cancer talk he doesn't seem to get it.

I really wonder if applying sunscreen helps esp when he applies at 830am and out in the sun at lunch...3-4 hours would have passed but better than nothing.

He has to wear a hat when he's out and that's about the only thing he will do cos no hat = no play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty bad. I hate the idea of dd wearing sunscreen when not out in sun so I only apply when its going to be a really sunny day or I know she will be outside a lot. She has her own bottle which I have told her to apply when it's sunny but whether she does (she's 6)? My logic:
    - she doesn't need sunscreen before school at 9am for 10 mins outside - this is a good way of getting vitamin D
    - she wears a hat all times outside and playground is mostly shaded by trees.
    - by lunchtime the screen would have worn off?

i am conflicted though. Outside of school we wear sunscreen when in direct sun otherwise I encourage outdoor play early morn/eve without for vitamin D. My kids haver never been burnt but there are odd days when dd comes home from school and it's been unexpectedly sunny and her arms look a wee bit red and I feel so guilty. Thing is I've had cancer myself (not skin) so I know kids have that higher risk but I've read a lot about dangers of vit D deficiency and truly feel some exposure outside of the danger times is important. And I don't think loading kids up with chemical creams everyday is good for them. It's really hard to know what is the best thing to do. The best thing would be for dd to apply herself at recess, but she is too young to trust to do this properly if she even remembered!
    As this summer was hot here in Sydney I applied at school gate most days but when it starts to cool down we will go back to just on hot days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know what you mean about the chemicals etc but I thought protection is most important mainly summer really. He just started school and he has gotten really tanned but still refused sunscreen. I am sure vit D is ample since they get exposed to sun much of the year.

I also wonder if the protection is at all effective when its lunch but I will never trust him to apply if I give him the bottle. He's so absent-minded. On top of that he hates it so much. Maybe I should just forget it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    DD1 is 7 and I apply sunscreen most mornings and then she has a roll on to reapply at lunch time. All the kids sit together and do it before they play. We live in Perth and the sun in extreme. I never give her a choice really.

DD2 is nearly 4 and is great about putting it on.