+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to get my 3.5 month old to fall asleep without being breastfed??

Hi everyone, As the title of this post suggests, I am a first time mother to an adorable 3.5 month old boy who unfortunately cannot fall asleep most of the time without being breastfed (I say most of the time because he can go to sleep in the pram but that isnt really a long term solution in my books!!). I have no problem with breastfeeding him to sleep at the moment however I am concerned that I am teaching him bad sleeping habits and that he will not be able to get himself to sleep without my boob. I am planning on returning to work part-time in July (when bub is about 6.5 months old) and would like to get him to self soothe well before then as I am worried he wont be able to nap when he will be with his carer while I am at work. Weird thing is, he is a pretty decent sleeper in the evenings (falls asleep between 6-7pm consistently with about 2 feedings per night). Sometimes bub would wake up at about 3/4am and I would just put him down in his cot after a feed and he would fall back asleep on his own happily however he cries bloody murder when I try to do this during the day??? My questions are: 1. Is he still too young to be sleep trained? 2. what is the best method to get bub to fall asleep without the boob (or pram) during the day? Any suggestions, input would be much appreciated!! thanks Lei

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lei, I've had this same dilemma with my 4 month old dd and so just yesterday we went to sleep school (ask your mat nurse fur a referral). It's hard in that you kinda have to let bubs cry a bit but they teach you soothing techniques other than boob. I found it helpful just to have someone support me through it but its still going to be a while till we've got it sorted at home (I've just nursed her off to sleep, whoops). The nurse running the day said now is actually a better time to be implementing these strategies rather than waiting till they're 6 months + because babies are more flexible in their routine early on. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I swapped from a play, feed, sleep routine with my 4mth old DS about a month ago due to breastfeeding issues made worse with feeding to sleep. I now have a sleep routine of telling DS it is sleep time, putting him in his sleeping bag, white noise on and rocking him to sleep. It wasn't that difficult to break the feed to sleep routine for us, although I am flexible and still feed to sleep if he is overtired.

I don't agree with any formal sleep training for babies this young so this works for us for now. Would you consider rocking to sleep instead of feeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My boy is six months, and yes I still feed to sleep, and also occasionally during the day.

Sometimes though, he doesn't go to sleep after a feed and I think it is the routine (walk, dinner, shower, bed) and the place (cot/bed) and being relaxed that send him off to la-la land.

During the day he'll also nod off if he's tired and in the baby carrier or sling - I put him in and get on with some activity (key word ACTIVE - the carrier/sling doesn't work unfortunately if I'm sitting down at the computer/sewing machine!). He has had a roughly two-hour eat-play-sleep pattern for the past few months, which helps me to know when he is due for a sleep/rest.

So some other things to try would be for his carer to know his routine, and to be comfortable with using a carrier. Good luck and please let people know how you go - what works for you is bound to help other mums out there too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    I swapped from a play, feed, sleep routine with my 4mth old DS about a month ago due to breastfeeding issues made worse with feeding to sleep. I now have a sleep routine of telling DS it is sleep time, putting him in his sleeping bag, white noise on and rocking him to sleep. It wasn't that difficult to break the feed to sleep routine for us, although I am flexible and still feed to sleep if he is overtired.

I don't agree with any formal sleep training for babies this young so this works for us for now. Would you consider rocking to sleep instead of feeding?
    But isn't rocking to sleep just replacing feeding?

OP - My 3 month old will fall asleep anywhere. She is fed to sleep in the evening and transfers to her bassinet no problems and usually sleeps 10-12 hours and back to sleep after a quick feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It is replacing feeding I guess, but it is more flexible in that others can help out. The plan here is to slowly try to put DS into cot drowsy (almost asleep) and gently see if he will self settle. I feel like this is also easier when rocking rather than feeding to sleep.