+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default If someone threw you a baby shower

At their sisters place when you are about a month out from your due date and expected you to catch a train for about 3 and a half hours for some really lame excuses and you were also a uni student who has end of semester exams happening around the same time, would you just shut up and go along with it or would you say something? And don't just say that you wouldn't have a baby shower anyway, that's not helpful. -___-

Some reasons that were given are valid but the only one that can't be easily worked around is my gran traveling four hours by car and then back in the one day (she's gotten quite frail )

It's my mother who's organizing this. I want friends from where I live to come, as well as cousins from my dad's side to come (my parents had a messy split when I was a young teenager) and when I mentioned this she said that I should just have a second baby shower with them. Well I don't want that, I want everyone to come together with me.

Eugh I don't know what to do/say.

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I would say something - as early in the planning stage as possible. Pretty much straight away when it is suggested actually.

If my mum made that suggestion I'd thank her wanting to be involved, but let her know that the location she has chosen isn't really suitable and explain why.

Do you have an alternative place you can have the shower that is a bit more central for everyone?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (14-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I did tell her I don't like the idea but she kept insisting so I said 'I'll think about it' (this was two days ago). There's no place more central
    When it was suggested to have a baby shower I said we can have it at mine (I have a HUGE lounge room) but apparently that's not convenient :/

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah, i would gently point out that if the babyshower is for me, that it needed to be something that would be nice for me and spending that long on a train at 36 weeks preg would not be nice.

Say that you would love them to organise it, and they can use your place or X venue and then everyone can come together.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (14-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't go. I would find it really uncomfortable an as pp said . It's supposed to be about you and what works for you . Good luck that's a tough one

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashram For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (14-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    When it was suggested to have a baby shower I said we can have it at mine (I have a HUGE lounge room) but apparently that's not convenient :/
    But it IS convenient - for you. The person the shower is being held for!

I think your mum is thinking about what is convenient for her and your sister, but disregarding the fact that you have to travel heavily pregnant on a train.

I would talk to her again about it and try and make her see things from your perspective.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (14-03-2013),LoveLivesHere  (14-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. As far as I know, no one else is upset about traveling to mine if it ends up being held here or around this area besides worrying about gran traveling.

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I would say it needed to be held at my place /somewhere closer. I wouldn't be up for travelling that far at the best of times - let alone something that was supposed to be for my benefit!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (14-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd be tempted to say something a bit snide like "Thanks for the invite, but I can't make it that far"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Isnt the baby shower supposed to be something nice for you? Making you uncomfortable and pressured into it kindof voids the point!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiplusthree For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (14-03-2013)