+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm sorry for your losses xx

I wouldn't have a problem, we're not religious and I've never mentioned heaven to DD, she asked me about it for the first time last year after someone mentioned it at school, I knew the discussion would come up sooner or later, and it certainly wasn't a discussion I was dreading.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not religious and I would have no issue with that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My daughter would probably ask what heaven is as we've never said that word to her. But I wouldn't have a problem with it and would tell her what people believe it to be.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Not at all. Everyone believes different things and while I don't believe I've taught my kids that everyone has a different opinion on god/heaven etc. We've talked about heaven, in fact we've discussed all sorts of religious beliefs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you very much for all your replies. Really appreciate it. I also wouldn't have a problem if my daughter came home and said that someone said there was no heaven. I would, and have in the past, explained that different families have different rules beliefs etc. we also have many books about many different religions as I want her to know that there are many different beliefs out there.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to melissa20588 For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (18-03-2013),SugarSkull  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not a problem at all. She's only four. If that's how she expresses herself then more power to her.
    If we're constantly going to be afraid that we're going to offend people because we've said something that relates to religion then that's not a good world to live in.
    If I was an atheist and my child came home saying "mummy, what is heaven" I'd tell them "honey, some people believe in rah rah rah." you get my drift. This world is so big and there's so much to learn and see. We can't shut our kids out from everything just because it's what *we* do or don't believe in.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (18-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa20588 View Post
    Thank you very much for all your replies. Really appreciate it. I also wouldn't have a problem if my daughter came home and said that someone said there was no heaven. I would, and have in the past, explained that different families have different rules beliefs etc. we also have many books about many different religions as I want her to know that there are many different beliefs out there.
    You're a wonderful mum. You really are. You're helping to raise an open minded child x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wouldn't have a problem with it. For the religious factor- children are going to have to learn about differing religions at some point, to me- there's no difference if it comes up at 4yr or 14yo. If it comes up, it comes up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not remotely religious, but I would have no issue with this. All families are different, and deal with things differently. What you have taught your daughter is lovely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Most little kids, religious or not, tend to be told about heaven. DD has never been told - I'm pretty much a dead-set atheist and see no point to mention Heaven... but it has been mentioned to her by other children before.

Then she comes to me and asks what Heaven is an I explain.

I'd say that hopefully most atheists would act similarly rather than act like you've done something horrible to their child. They'll just explain to their kids, in basic terms, what the whole Heaven idea is about, mention that SOME people believe in it, but that they don't... blah blah.

DD is well aware about a lot of religious things... she is also well aware that I don't believe any of it. It's up to her what she wants to believe.

In any case, you kind of have to do what's best for your child in your own opinion, no matter what other parents might feel about it. DD has always had access to the truth - and while I know other parents might dislike that idea, too bad, because I'm not doing something I feel isn't beneficial to my daughter (lying) to appease them. I think it's something you've got to do all the time in parenting... so just do whatever it is you feel is best for her, and stuff everyone else.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Fang  (20-05-2013)