+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Long Haul with 5 year old, opinions please

Good Morning All,

My husband, son and I are travelling to Ireland at Christmas. On the way we are stopping at Dubai for 4 days.

We are wondering what to do about our return trip. Should we just do it all at once (like ripping off a band-aid) or should we break it up again?

We would ideally like to do it all at once as then we have longer in Ireland. However I'm not sure how fair it is to DS? He will be 5 at that time, and does like to play the ipad etc. I figure that by then his concentration would be even better, but.....

Or, if we break it up (in Dubai or Abu Dabi ?sp) is there like a hotel on site, or something that we can do like a swimming pool or the like (like in Singapore - even though I have never actually seen this elusive pool!).

What do you guys think? Has anyone done it all at once with a child my DS age?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Heya Naboo,
    I'm doing the same trip in June with my two boys.
    DS1 is 4 and DS2 will be just 15mths.
    I decided just to go for it.
    Both flights only have 3 or 5 hour stop overs, I figured that was enough to let them stretch their legs and get back on the plane.
    Stopping off, having to collect luggage and find hotels etc etc, would have been far more stressful for me as DH is not coming with us.
    I am praying that it all goes smoothly, but I am also expecting the worst from DS2, he is a bit wild.
    DS1, like your boy, is happy to play on an ipad or watch films and is really no trouble at all.
    I think at 5 your DS will be more than able for the trip back, after a (long?) holiday he might appreciate the quicker journey. He might even sleep for most of it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

babycake  (14-03-2013),Naboo  (14-03-2013)

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I find personally that doing it in one hit is much easier, as you say, like ripping off a bandaide. From personal experience i dont relax if i have a stop over as i know in the back of my mind i need to hop on the plane again and get home. Also i find it never helps with jetlag either. Hope this helps

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babycake For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (14-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys! I thought doing it in one hit was the best but I needed some reassurance! I think we're getting DS a nintendo or something for Christmas as well, so fingers crossed

Th fact that DS (an only child of an only child - me) gets to spend Christmas with his granny, aunts, uncles and a swarm of cousine all under one roof is enough to make 24 uncomfortable hours worthwhile

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go with one hit. Just pack heaps of little activities so keep him occupied. Have a back pack for the way there and then make a new one for the way back. A couple of great toys we take on planes are the hopping frog game, barrell of monkeys, another game which is small plastic chairs and you have to stack them. Lots of those types of games and some new apps on the ipad!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to patsmum For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (14-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who are you flying with? I think some of the airlines now have games as part of their entertainment system too

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (14-03-2013)

Three Little Birds is offline Formerly Squiggsmom - I'll make it to the moon if I have to crawl.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DD is 2 and she's been back and forth to the States 4 times. Each time gets a bit easier but I will say just do it all in 1 trip. Getting to and from the airport and dealing with all that luggage is a pain! Also see about getting access to an airline lounge. Some let you purchase admission on the spot and others require a year long commitment. These often have childrens areas so they can run around and blow off steam without annoying anyone. You can also take a shower! The last trip DD was 2 so I packed crayons, new little toys and books. Don't give them all at once, only when they seem to be getting antsy. The personal screens are great as well. Kids movies and games galore. If he's a remotely picky eater, I'd bring food. The airplane food for kids is less than ideal. Hope that helps.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Three Little Birds For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (14-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. It's heartening that everyone agrees that one hit is the way to go. We're flying ethiad or emirates. They both fly into Dublin (excited!!)!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Emirates have lots of entertainment, Disney films, games etc tv in each seat. We are flying to the UK tomorrow with our lively 3 year old! Doing both ways in one hit (one 3 hour stop in Dubai) will let you know how it goes when we get back!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (14-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow good luck on your trip! Let me know how you go!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Naboo For This Useful Post:

Lil M  (14-03-2013)