+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NanaK is offline I'm surrounded by beautiful boys!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Do you know for a fact your replacement is on a mat leave contract? Ours specify that it is, and that the person could return early at any time, etc. If she definitely is then its another thing in your favour.

I mentioned above that I don't think them paying your PPL is relevant. They are just a third party who administer the payment.

You could just be on unpaid leave. Or you could not actually be employed. If they paid out your accrued leave on your last day then this would be a giveaway of that.

Have you spoken to HR??
    Thanks for the info. I would speak to HR but there is only one lady and she is pretty dodgy, and she would be the person heading this whole thing up.

I don't have anything documented but I did have one of the other company directors sit in on a conversation with hr where she told me that there would be a Job for me she I got back. I probably should have gotten something in writing but they gave me every assurance in the world that I was good at my job and they needed me.

They didn't pay out my leave, they paid me my al over the two pay cycles that is crossed over into if that makes sense.

I know that my replacement is on contract for sure.

I probably need to somehow get access to my work emails because I am sure that I had correspondence talking about the fact that I was taking "maternity leave" and this was never objected to. i would think that if they were not going to class it as mat leave surely they have some sort of obligation to specifically tell me this? I mean I have been working under the assumption that they just agreed to the mat leave because I was making sacrifices too (i.e. working 4 days until my induction date and only taking 3 months off to not leave them in a bad situation)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you a union member? Id be contacting them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree it def sounds like you are on mat leave, even if they are backtracking now... Not having anything in writing is annoying but doesn't mean you don't have a case. However, if you don't have the 12 months service then you don't automatically have the entitlement to your old job back...

I'd call Fair Work tomorrow to get their advice. At least it's a first step and will give you an idea of what to do next.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Spoke to ombudsman today, they said I have a case. Talked to my employer and thy are going to pay me out 8 weeks

Next question, does anyone know if a redundancy payout impact government paid maternity leave entitlements?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NanaK For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (14-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was kind of in the same position. I was working there for 4 years beforehand though. I had 12 months unpaid maternity leave. I asked to come back early and was told that I was actually made redundant. I didn't take it any further even though apparently I could have, I couldn't be bothered but I was crushed so know exactly how you feel! Hope you can work something out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Redundancy means that "the work being performed is no longer required". It is about the job and not the "person" in it so they can't say they are making you redundant if they still need the work done, which in your case clearly they do as they have kept on the other girl to do it. So that is not a true redundancy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pumpkin1106 For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (14-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am glad you are getting something. When you say they are paying you out, do you mean a redundancy, or just a sort of goodwill payment?

If the person performing your role is doing substantively different duties (which is always open to interpretation) then they could argue that your role is redundant and the replacement is doing a "new" role.

But its not really your problem - if they have offered a redundancy package - take it! But you definitely can't go straight back and work there on a contract. Doesn't sound like you are doing that? If you do that, you could be liable to pay back a lot of of tax if the ATO finds out.

Really glad you are going to get something.

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I agree it def sounds like you are on mat leave, even if they are backtracking now... Not having anything in writing is annoying but doesn't mean you don't have a case. However, if you don't have the 12 months service then you don't automatically have the entitlement to your old job back...

I'd call Fair Work tomorrow to get their advice. At least it's a first step and will give you an idea of what to do next.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaK View Post
    Spoke to ombudsman today, they said I have a case. Talked to my employer and thy are going to pay me out 8 weeks

Next question, does anyone know if a redundancy payout impact government paid maternity leave entitlements?
    Um no OP it's not a redundancy. A redundancy is when the role NO longer exists not when you've been replaced. There is someone is YOUR role not someone new doing a different role

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh but if like my work they employed another person to do your job in "anticipation of the business growing" as in when you return both of you will be working, and this business growth doesn't happen then your job may no longer exist. This happened to both my colleague and myself. I was a little upset at first but have now accepted a part time job instead of fighting for my previous position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Um no OP it's not a redundancy. A redundancy is when the role NO longer exists not when you've been replaced. There is someone is YOUR role not someone new doing a different role
    Previous posts mention that my replacement is getting a new title. They are re doing the PD to include the functions that I un officially did which were not on my PD at the time. The roles look different but are in effect the same. It is a redundancy there is no longer a Supervisor AU position. It is now Manger AU.