+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone given birth at Gold Coast Hospital in Southport?

Hi, I'm due in 9 weeks and I'm booked in to deliver at Gold Coast Hospital. I haven't had a very good experience with the ER at that hospital so I'm just wondering what the maternity ward is like? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my son there almost two years ago and had a good experience. All the midwives throughout my labour were really nice and helpful after I had my bub I only experienced one rude midwife in my first few hrs after bub was born but after that everyone was great! I'm giving birth there again in August and feeling happy about it. You'll be fine lucky you're going soon and not right before the move like me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I gave birth in early 2012 at Southport. Doctors and midwives were mostly all lovely. One midwife was rude to me and my husband. I'll never forget her, but I think you can encounter that anywhere.

You'll be fine. You aren't in the hospital for that long hopefully. I had bub on the Friday morning and made them check me out on the Saturday afternoon as I dislike hospitals in general.

I am going to go private next time though, just my personal preference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great.. I've heard mixed reviews about the maternity ward there, but southport is a 10 min drive away from me, it would seem silly to travel any further, especially if I'm in active labor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just remember there is always good and bad reviews about every hospital and no matter where you go you will encounter a few rude staff. It sucks but its life. Just try not to worry about it and make the best of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my son there in 2010 and am booked in this week for a section....cannot speak highly enough about the treatment, service we have received throughout. Would recommend them highly! Everyone is quick to slam public health services... But for a relatively free of charge service, they do a great job with limited resources. For every horror story u hear..... There are 20 positive experiences that u don't hear. Obviously a longer wait for some appointment than perhaps a private hospital but but the longest I've waited at antenatal clinic was half hour. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was born there and I'm still kicking! Haha

My sil has had all 3 of her kids there. I was with her god the birth of her first and the midwives were amazing! Could not be faulted.

But of course as pp have said there will be crappy middys there.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had two csections there. My antenatal care was painful, but the actual delivery was fantastic, couldn't imagine better.

Unfortunately they are under resourced. I had a scan on a fame room floor and was pressured to leave after one night with my first, even though I'd had a csection. They also promised midwife visits, but she never came as it was raining too much. My experience with my second was great. They seem to be awesome at the most crucial things.

I'll be having my future kids there (well at the new one).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so I went for my first antenatal appointment last week at 36 weeks and was told that my doctor was supposed to refer me there at 20 weeks! I am so annoyed as I have missed crucial appointments and the chance to meet a midwife and birthing options as well as parenting classes. I am 37 weeks now and it's too late for any of this stuff to be organized! Not a good start, although I know it's not the hospitals fault, more my GP's who has not been following his duty of care regarding my pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am due in 10 weeks and will be going to GC hospital for my 2nd baby.
    Had my first one in May 2011 and had really good experience there.
    The midwife I had stayed with me the whole time, and the trainee doctor also. I was well taken care off and the nurse gave me extra food because I was so hungry after giving birth.

I hope the second time will be the same good experience. Might c u at the hospital I reckon? I am due 7th July..