+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    So, where was it exactly that you were accused of being vitriolic and arrogant? All i could see was someone asking people (in a really nice way) to stop referring to her deeply held beliefs as a load of cr@p.
    I believe Bec was reiterating a point that she made earlier in this thread in regard to atheists generally being accused of these things because they have pointed out certain facts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (16-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Yup, only I go one further and take the "in public schools" bit off. If it is agreed that children of public schools should not be indoctrinated then nor should any child.
    Bec, if a parent sends a child to a religious school (and are paying for the "privilege"), they know what they are committing their child to. I don't agree with religiously indoctrinating children, but parents have the right to do so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I believe Bec was reiterating a point that she made earlier in this thread in regard to atheists generally being accused of these things because they have pointed out certain facts.
    Saying 'once again athiests have been accused...' indicates that someone in this thread has accused athiests. This isn't the case. What Regina asked for has been totally twisted and blown out of all proportion.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (16-03-2013),Cinderella82  (16-03-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    So, where was it exactly that you were accused of being vitriolic and arrogant? All i could see was someone asking people (in a really nice way) to stop referring to her deeply held beliefs as a load of cr@p.
    As Atropos mentioned I was just reiterating an earlier point. The post that inspired my post was Regina Phalange's below. On reflection, if Regina was directing this at me then I'll withdraw my comment as the only accusation was that of being disrespectful (which I don't think I or anyone else has been).

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Disappointing that people are genuinely so incapable of speaking respectfully when discussing Christianity. Alas, this is the christophobic society we live in I appreciate that people have probably had a bad experience with a very zealous Christian in the past that makes them feel the need to speak this way about Christians (probably in public school RE )
    I've never some across the term Christophobic before - I had to go and google (thanks wikipedia!!)

Anti-Christian sentiment is an opposition to Christians, the Christian religion, or the practice of Christianity. Christophobia or Christianophobia are also names for "every form of discrimination and intolerance against Christians" according to Council of European Episcopal Conferences
    I am no more Christophobic than I am Islamaphobic. I don't understand why you think we live in a Christophobic society - it's the dominant religion. Our biggest holidays are Christian (although they pre-date Christianity but that's another thread.) Criticising a religion does not make you afraid of it, dislike those who follow the religion or practice or wish any follows to experience discrimination on their religious beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Sheesh Bec, again, sorry I asked not wanting to debate any more than I have, so lets agree to disagree
    Sure

For the record I really appreciate your input and you've taught me a new word.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Bec, if a parent sends a child to a religious school (and are paying for the "privilege"), they know what they are committing their child to. I don't agree with religiously indoctrinating children, but parents have the right to do so.
    I get that they know what they are committing their child to - it's still indoctrination though. I'll let Richard Dawkins speak for me here.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (16-03-2013),shelle65  (16-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I get that they know what they are committing their child to - it's still indoctrination though. I'll let Richard Dawkins speak for me here.
    I'm afraid RD won't be much help here. We have a very specific history, starting with the formation of the Catholic school system in mid-19th century, the decision of the Menzies govt to fund parochial schools and the failure of the DOGS High Court case. We cannot undo that history, but beyond grumbling we seem to have no strategy in response.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    I don't agree with religiously indoctrinating children, but parents have the right to do so.
    I know parents currently do so but should they? From what JohnC said it sounds like there a legal precident that favours parents rights over a child's right to choose (when old enough). This might change in time though (one day!)

Personally I don't agree with Christening babies etc as I feel it is indoctrinating a child against their will but I know that many people wouldn't agree. I'm not really sure what the options are as the parents have the right to their religious beliefs but children are so impressionable. Having said that I have to accept that my children are also not given a real choice as my husband and I are not religious so we won't be exposing our child (if possible) to religion so potentially I am denying them in that way too?

What does annoy me though is non-religious parents who christen their children to get them into a "better" private school! I grew up in NZ where private schooling is not as common so I was horrified when I first heard this.