+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post

If this is aimed at me then perhaps you are perceiving a tone that simply isn't there. Obviously it is very difficult to express tone - if any tone is to be perceived in my posts then I hope it is polite chit-chat as that is how I am talking through the posts in my head when I type.
    Definitely not aimed at you Bec I don't pick up tone in your posts or anyone's here generally, overall I think this is a respectful discussion. I also do the talk in my head when posting. Not being able to pick up tone can be disconcerting around here at times but I've learnt to try to always 'hear' it in the chit chat tone you're talking about.

Not aimed at anyone, it just got me thinking about the general talk around being free to express, which I think we all should be but how we do it is just as important to the message, whichever view point you're coming from.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (16-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    By all means we should express our views, we all have them but I think words lose their power when used in an antagonistic, belittling or dismissive manner whether these words are fact or fiction.
    Presumably, we are all adults here and some robust discussion and disagreement should be no problem. But the topic of this thread is what happens to our children, and on that I have a simple position:

Stop religious brainwashing of children in public schools.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (16-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 22:08.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Presumably, we are all adults here and some robust discussion and disagreement should be no problem. But the topic of this thread is what happens to our children, and on that I have a simple position:

Stop religious brainwashing of children in public schools.
    Yup, only I go one further and take the "in public schools" bit off. If it is agreed that children of public schools should not be indoctrinated then nor should any child.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (16-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Gosh, I'm sorry I asked! again, sad and disappointing that a request NOT to put down my religion and to simply speak about your beliefs respectfully is met wih such opposition. Disappointing that people are genuinely so incapable of speaking respectfully when discussing Christianity. Alas, this is the christophobic society we live in I appreciate that people have probably had a bad experience with a very zealous Christian in the past that makes them feel the need to speak this way about Christians (probably in public school RE )
    Okay, let's be frank. The only reason us "christophobes" aren't being being burnt at the stake is that the Enlightenment put a stop to the religious stranglehold on civil society. The religious overlords did not give up power easily, and if they had their druthers they would still be prosecuting people for blasphemy, heresy and other thought crimes.

We live in a modern liberal democracy, no thanks to the Church, so believers are protected, whatever their beliefs. Including you. That's a conquest of the modern secularism over religious obscurantism.

So no lectures about "respect", please, particularly when what we are being asked to respect is a set of discredited Iron Age fairy tales that are totally antithetical to the values of tolerance to which we all subscribe.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

FionaV  (22-03-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Gosh, I'm sorry I asked! again, sad and disappointing that a request NOT to put down my religion and to simply speak about your beliefs respectfully is met wih such opposition. Disappointing that people are genuinely so incapable of speaking respectfully when discussing Christianity.
    Where have people put down Christianity? I have meticulously read teh rest of the thread but this afternoon's posts have not been disrespectful. All I and other like-minded people have done is pointed out stated and proven facts.

Once again vocal atheists are accused of being vitriolic, arrogant, etc on absolutely no basis. This is a subject that some of us feel very passionately about. I read about religion and it's affects, I watch documentaries and debates. It is definitely my topic du jour at present.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 22:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Where have people put down Christianity? I have meticulously read teh rest of the thread but this afternoon's posts have not been disrespectful. All I and other like-minded people have done is pointed out stated and proven facts.

Once again vocal atheists are accused of being vitriolic, arrogant, etc on absolutely no basis. This is a subject that some of us feel very passionately about. I read about religion and it's affects, I watch documentaries and debates. It is definitely my topic du jour at present.
    So, where was it exactly that you were accused of being vitriolic and arrogant? All i could see was someone asking people (in a really nice way) to stop referring to her deeply held beliefs as a load of cr@p.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (16-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Can you link this please
    There you are: http://www.curriculumsupport.educati...gion/index.htm

It's the first link under supporting documents.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh, I'm sorry I asked! again, sad and disappointing that a request NOT to put down my religion and to simply speak about your beliefs respectfully is met wih such opposition. Disappointing that people are genuinely so incapable of speaking respectfully when discussing Christianity. Alas, this is the christophobic society we live in I appreciate that people have probably had a bad experience with a very zealous Christian in the past that makes them feel the need to speak this way about Christians (probably in public school RE )
    Atheists *don't* believe in your religion though, so anything at all they say about it can be perceived as a put down or disrespect. What you seem to be suggesting is that all we are allowed to say is "I don't believe as you do" without giving any reasons why or discussing their thoughts on the matter. Isn't that then disrespectful of an atheists views? Why is a religious person more entitled to have their views heard than an atheist?
    I think it comes down to "respect" being, in this case, a subjective term.
    FTR I'm not a christophobe, ie- I have no irrational fear of christ or christians. And I feel pretty much the same about all religions, being an atheist ie- anti-theism.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (16-03-2013),Busy-Bee  (16-03-2013)