+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I thought they wouldn't be allowed to do extra maths as that would give the child an unfair advantage?
    I think that's the wording they use in the act? It goes on that kids who don't attend RE, can't do extra school work, can't do anything that competes with RE, etc.. So they are limited to what they actually can do.

I would love to see the introduction of ethics classes. Would be a much more productive and worthwhile use of everyones time.
    The primary school I worked in did philosophy, ethics, celebrations around the world, kids loved it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    The primary school I worked in did philosophy, ethics, celebrations around the world, kids loved it!
    Oh wow. I would love to see something like that introduced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Oh wow. I would love to see something like that introduced.
    It would be introduced through inquiry learning, it wasn't stand alone. So if kids were inquiring into an issue like reduce, reuse, reycycle then they would look at the ethics surrounding it, the social implications etc.. and form their own opinions based on that. Celebrations around the world is a great one to do when looking at religion without 'teaching' religion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I HAAATE how in schools and day care and kindy etc. everything (especially this) has to reflect on the community... but what if the general community is atheist? They take the two families that are Christian and make us shove it down the throats of all the children. I think it's important to expose children to all these religions but to make it clear "This is what they believe/feel/do" not "This is what happened, god did this and this..." If teachers went to school and told all the children that god is not real and none of it happened, imagine the uproar!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IndieBelle For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (16-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 22:11.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (16-03-2013),SoThisIsLove  (16-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^ Sorry if that was at me, I meant to make the point as in 'what if someone were to say that'.

I am completely atheist, don't believe in any of it, but I am respectful of absolutely everyone and every religion. Everyone has their religion and it's their right to follow it and I respect that. I would never get in the way of someone else with their religion, that's why I get so annoyed about the people that try to push their own religion on you whether it be in schools, in public or door knockers etc. but again, I am never rude to these people, I just keep it to myself (I don't like conflict, and don't think there's ever a winner with a topic so close to peoples hearts)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 22:10.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

IndieBelle  (16-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I completely understand your annoyance, I am a Christian and would hate if I felt like my child was having another religion forced upon them, and it would be so much better if we could all be more respectful of others beliefs. Especially in a public school, religion shouldn't be taught.

can I just say though, I completely understand and respect others beliefs, whether they are athiest, Hindu, Buddhist, whatever they may be. But I personally am a Christian and I 100% believe in god. So even though I agree your child should not have Christian beliefs pushed upon them at a public school, I have seen many references to Christian beliefs as rubbish, Mumbo jumbo, brainwashing, fairy tales, lies, utter cr@p, etc. please do not refer to my beliefs this way, I find it very offensive. FAIR ENOUGH you do not want your child subjected to it at school, which I agree with. And it is disrespecting your beliefs. That isn't ok. But please do not disrespect MY beliefs in return. I wish we could all just learn to respect each others beliefs.
    With all due respect, as an atheist, I DO feel religion is brainwashing and nonsense. I respect your right to choose to have a religion, I'm not going to try to talk you out of it when you haven't asked me to discuss it, but I don't see why I can't say what I think of religion itself. I'm not trying to argue or anything, I just don't think it's fair to tell atheists they are entitled to their views on religion but aren't allowed to express them. I've heard/seen plenty if religious people bang in about atheists being damned to hell, being wrong etc. doesn't bother me, they are just as entitled to their views as I am, you know?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

DailyDiversion  (16-03-2013),HarvestMoon  (16-03-2013),lambjam  (16-03-2013),shelle65  (16-03-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    can I just say though, I completely understand and respect others beliefs, whether they are athiest, Hindu, Buddhist, whatever they may be. But I personally am a Christian and I 100% believe in god. So even though I agree your child should not have Christian beliefs pushed upon them at a public school, I have seen many references to Christian beliefs as rubbish, Mumbo jumbo, brainwashing, fairy tales, lies, utter cr@p, etc. please do not refer to my beliefs this way, I find it very offensive. FAIR ENOUGH you do not want your child subjected to it at school, which I agree with. And it is disrespecting your beliefs. That isn't ok. But please do not disrespect MY beliefs in return. I wish we could all just learn to respect each others beliefs.
    As an atheist I respect that others have different beliefs, I don't have to respect what those beliefs are though. By pointing out the Old Testament is a collection of Iron Age myths and there is not a shred of evidence to support the theory that there is a deity, prophets etc is true. It's not my subjectivity, it's technically true.

I also add that introducing a religion to a child as fact is indoctrination/brainwashing. You bring a child up as Muslim/Hindu/Catholic etc then the odds of them believing that religion is the one true religion are extremely good. Children are hard-wired to believe figures of authority. (There is an old Jesuit saying "give me the child for 7 years and I will give you the man".) If you don't believe this then why is there such a strong correlation between religious beliefs of parents to religious beliefs of their offspring? Again, this is not my subjectivity, it's a proven fact.

For the record I do understand that hearing *some* of the words you listed above as hurtful but for some there is proof.

My key point is that non-religous people often accused of being shrill, overbearing, arrogant, vitriolic etc but more often than not all we are doing is pointing out the hypocrisy, flawed logic, inconsistencies etc of religion and we are accused of such behaviour regardless of how we phrase or approach the subject.

Finally, I am not trying to convert anyone, I am merely tryhing to get the voices of secularism/atheism heard and challenge religious institutions. My beef is not with you're average Christian/Muslim/Jew etc.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-03-2013),Ellewood  (16-03-2013),HarvestMoon  (16-03-2013),lambjam  (16-03-2013),shelle65  (16-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two-point program:
    • Abolish chaplains-in-school program.
    • Abolish religious education in all public schools.
    Not hard, and the only fair option in modern Australia.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (16-03-2013),HarvestMoon  (16-03-2013),LaDiDah  (16-03-2013),risfaerie  (16-03-2013)