+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    7. SCHOOL PRAYERS
    Schools are permitted to use or to write school prayers. These prayers are to be interdenominational Christian or multi-faith to reflect the diversity of the school community. Consultation with the school community should occur about both the prayer and the types of occasions on which it will be used. Under Section 33 of the Act, parents can object to any general religious education. Students of parents who have indicated this objection, including their child being present when prayers are said, should be supervised in another area of the school.
    That is so wrong on so many levels.
    And people wonder why non-religious people/atheists seem to be so annoyed.

It assumes that everyone is religious.
    It supports the idea of prayer as a means of assistance/guidance when there are scientific studies to prove that prayer does nothing. Therefore it supports a practice that is based on myth and has no empirical evidence - schools should be a place for learning facts and developing critical thinking and creativity - not teaching ideas that are not based on evidence.
    It enforces segregation of students, moreover, the segregation is based on the beliefs of their parents, not on their own beliefs.

*sigh*

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (14-03-2013),Atropos  (16-03-2013),FionaV  (22-03-2013),HarvestMoon  (14-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Well i spoke to the principal. She was pretty good about it.. Said she would sought it out. She said she didn't feel it was appropriate either. Hopefully something is done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Well DS1 just informed me that prayer is a usual part if assembly so he has been forced to endure it since he started at that school.
    So i am doubtful anything will be done/said now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is so strange!! I've never heard of such a thing in a state school OP! Which state are you in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    That is so strange!! I've never heard of such a thing in a state school OP! Which state are you in?
    Nsw.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be fuming!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (14-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would be so angry (in fact, I'm regularly angry on behalf of friends who have their children subjected to religion at school against their wishes!).

This so needs to change

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shanaynay For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (15-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanaynay View Post

This so needs to change
    I completely agree! I wonder when and if it ever will though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A work friend was saying the other day that her son had been choosing to go to religion classes (even though he thinks it's rubbish) because the alternative is to do extra maths!!! That is so unfair, what kid is going to choose maths! So instead the vulnerable ones will get brainwashed.

I'm very worried about DS starting school in a couple of years as even though he'll go to a state school they all seem to have religious education classes and I'm not sure what the alternative is. I don't want him to be singled out. Why can't schools just teach morals and ethics instead of mumbo jumbo??!! Well I know why, probably because it give the teacher a break to do something else while the class is "taught" by someone who probably isn't even paid.

And don't get me started on school chaplains! What's wrong with a guidance counseller??? Grrr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Noty View Post
    A work friend was saying the other day that her son had been choosing to go to religion classes (even though he thinks it's rubbish) because the alternative is to do extra maths!!! That is so unfair, what kid is going to choose maths! So instead the vulnerable ones will get brainwashed.

I'm very worried about DS starting school in a couple of years as even though he'll go to a state school they all seem to have religious education classes and I'm not sure what the alternative is. I don't want him to be singled out. Why can't schools just teach morals and ethics instead of mumbo jumbo??!! Well I know why, probably because it give the teacher a break to do something else while the class is "taught" by someone who probably isn't even paid.

And don't get me started on school chaplains! What's wrong with a guidance counseller??? Grrr.
    I thought they wouldn't be allowed to do extra maths as that would give the child an unfair advantage?
    I think that's the wording they use in the act? It goes on that kids who don't attend RE, can't do extra school work, can't do anything that competes with RE, etc.. So they are limited to what they actually can do.

I would love to see the introduction of ethics classes. Would be a much more productive and worthwhile use of everyones time.