+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Religion in public schools!

So annoyed!!! I was emptying out DS2s bag before and found a worksheet about jesus and god. So of course i questioned him over it and it turns out he has been sent to religion since school started despite the fact i ticked 'non scripture' on the school enrolment form!
    Ds1 was told he would be sent to religion this year unless he brought in a note requesting otherwise, despite the fact his enrolment status states he is not to attend scripture and the fact that he hasn't in his 3 prior years of schooling.

I've seen other threads on here and have heard stories from where similar has happened. Why is it so common when it's so very wrong?
    Why are parents wishes disregarded all the time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Wow.. It gets worse! One of the kindy teachers seems to think it's her right to make all k-2 students engage in a morning prayer at their daily assemblies.
    Surely she doesn't have any right to do this?
    Where's the best port of call to make a complaint? The principal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is this a state school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Is this a state school?
    Yes, the NSW equivalent.

She has no right to do that, does she?
    I'm not overreacting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    absolutely complain...start with the principal and then if not suitably addressed, go to the education department!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (14-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    7. SCHOOL PRAYERS
    Schools are permitted to use or to write school prayers. These prayers are to be interdenominational Christian or multi-faith to reflect the diversity of the school community. Consultation with the school community should occur about both the prayer and the types of occasions on which it will be used. Under Section 33 of the Act, parents can object to any general religious education. Students of parents who have indicated this objection, including their child being present when prayers are said, should be supervised in another area of the school.
    Looks like they are allowed to do so^

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Looks like they are allowed to do so^

Gross. Your child has the option to be marginalised for their beliefs by being removed from the area.

There needs to be a serious change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    There needs to be a serious change.
    I agree. I'm still going to have a chat to the principal as i don't feel it's appropriate nor do i want my children exposed to such rubbish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be livid. I wonder if other parents are aware? In your shoes, I'd be kicking up a huge fuss over this!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It completely confuses me why public schools seem to be so hell bent on forcing religion on kids. The alternative of being singled out and "supervised" in another part of the school is unacceptable. I also don't get interfaith prayers. Why even bother? Different religions pray in different ways, even different denominations of Christianity have different ways to pray. "Interfaith prayer" sounds like a big wad of steaming you-know-what to me!
    I firmly believe that religious education should be dealt with by the parents, and public schools should stick to teaching what they are supposed to teach.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post: